Looks mucousy
Has air bubbles..
Its everywhere..

Attachments

• 20200826_132451.jpg
    20200826_132451.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Better hope not, I battled that twice on 2 different tanks long ago... I had to do the whole 7 days of darkness and hardly feeding that beat it. I've used peroxide before too.

Better hope not, I battled that twice on 2 different tanks long ago... I had to do the whole 7 days of darkness and hardly feeding that beat it. I've used peroxide before too.

But before I start treating, do you think its dino?

Snotty, air bubbles, lack of algae underneath (so less likely to be calothrix), very similar to the gunk I saw in my tank when I had dinos.

But mainly asking because, at the macro level, a lot of stuff looks very similar and a definitive diagnosis usually requires a microscope. So just curious why you wouldn't jump straight to the confirmation. (But I'm a lab junkie so my default reaction is, "FETCH ME MY SCOPE!")

That’s what mine looked like. My attack was UV, blackout, pods, phyto, increased feeding, dosing nitrates, lots of turkey basting to get it in the water column for the UV to kill.

Not sure which thing provided the most help. but that looks exactly like what I got

That’s what mine looked like. My attack was UV, blackout, pods, phyto, increased feeding, dosing nitrates, lots of turkey basting to get it in the water column for the UV to kill.

Not sure which thing provided the most help. but that looks exactly like what I got
Interesting. So you think its dino...

My attack was UV, blackout, pods, phyto, increased feeding, dosing nitrates, lots of turkey basting to get it in the water column for the UV to kill.

The point of doing blackout, not doing water changes, elevated pH during that 7 days of blackout as well as only feeding enough were all the fish/inverts are able to eat all the food and not leave waste was to ensure there were no excess nutrients for the SNOT to feed off on, grow more, come back. The point is to starve the tank so the dino's die out and turn to dust, then you can vacuum them out, WC after. I'm confused with the increased feeding, dosing nitrates...counterproductive if you trying to starve out Dino's.

Get a scope. I'd guess it might be ostreopsis. If so, hook up an appropriately sized UV unit and stir everything up so it passes through UV. Problem will be gone in 3-5 days.

See what my ostreopsis looked like here:

The point of doing blackout, not doing water changes, elevated pH during that 7 days of blackout as well as only feeding enough were all the fish/inverts are able to eat all the food and not leave waste was to ensure there were no excess nutrients for the SNOT to feed off on, grow more, come back. The point is to starve the tank so the dino's die out and turn to dust, then you can vacuum them out, WC after. I'm confused with the increased feeding, dosing nitrates...counterproductive if you trying to starve out Dino's.
My nitrates were 0 and I suspected that was what brought on the dinos I had. But I really don’t know I’m still learning and never had dinos in my other tanks. It worked though and no more reef snot. I was under the impression the main thing they use is photosynthesis which is why the blackout is recommended to starve them, but it would make sense for them to use other sources too so feeding probably didn’t help

My nitrates were 0 and I suspected that was what brought on the dinos I had. But I really don’t know I’m still learning and never had dinos in my other tanks. It worked though and no more reef snot. I was under the impression the main thing they use is photosynthesis which is why the blackout is recommended to starve them, but it would make sense for them to use other sources too so feeding probably didn’t help

I'd argue that feeding may depend entirely on nutrient levels within the tank. One of the common threads I've seen in dino infestations are zeroed-out phosphates. Granted this isn't universal, but it seems common enough (based on reading most of the dino threads/my own experiences) that I'd consider no phosphates a risk factor for dinos.

My pet hypothesis of the 'why': everything requires nutrients, including phosphate. Everything is constantly competing against each other. However, dinos may be more successful at outcompeting bacteria/etc. under limiting nutrient conditions. Shutting off the lights helps knock them back because they're primarily photosynthetic, but bacteria aren't, so - by doing lights out plus feeding the tank - you're helping bacteria/other bugs outcompete dinos.

everything requires nutrients
This can be the root of most problems. We’re trying to make little slices of ocean but with nothing ugly. Real reefs have algae, but we work to care for only what looks good and when that balance isn’t reach problems pop up. Lou from Tropic Marine uses that to explain how difficult the balance is

Back