Neptune Aquatics

DIY UV sterilizer?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
So, IM UV bulbs seem pretty cheap and are drop-in. Rather than spending a couple hundred bucks on a UV sterilizer, is there any reason I couldn't use UV-rated PVC (e.g., electrical conduit) that's wide enough to drop the UV light in, plumb in a couple barbs for hose attachments, and attach it to a powerhead?

I think you still need to buy their main version since it has the power supply. The replacement bulb only has a bulb

It sounds like you want to use their bulb but be able to use it with a pump instead of just flow from the overflow? Maybe you can modify their sleeve? It doesn’t seem like there’s much margin for savings but it’s always fun to learn from DIY

I think you still need to buy their main version since it has the power supply. The replacement bulb only has a bulb

It sounds like you want to use their bulb but be able to use it with a pump instead of just flow from the overflow? Maybe you can modify their sleeve? It doesn’t seem like there’s much margin for savings but it’s always fun to learn from DIY

Correct re: using the bulb with a pump instead of overflow. My main concern is that in my current setup, I put it in the overflow box naked, and have already seen some discoloration in the acrylic. My sump is also acrylic, and I'd rather get more water movement across the bulb. So, rather than spending the $150+ on an 8-watt UV sterilizer, I was trying to buy the bulb/power switch (~$50 or so) and build something with some conduit and using a pump I already have to save a few bucks.

Probably won't save more than $30-40, but DIY is fun and just trying to see if there's any reason to avoid that.

I did this - PETG worked fine for about a year, cheap and effective. Just an idea.

I did this - PETG worked fine for about a year, cheap and effective. Just an idea.

Oh wow; that's perfect! Any chance I'd be able to commission one?

Oh wow; that's perfect! Any chance I'd be able to commission one?
The design shared on thingiverse - you can find someone with 3D printer next to you or order print online but this one designed for specific UV bulb and quartz waterproof sleeve. It's easier to design something like that for specific bulb if you have one in hands.

Seems like all you would need is a PVC tube and endcaps plus some fittings to make a DIY...

For sake of safety, I would probably add a sealable (lots of silicone) glass center tube to keep the bulb dry...

Seems like all you would need is a PVC tube and endcaps plus some fittings to make a DIY...

For sake of safety, I would probably add a sealable (lots of silicone) glass center tube to keep the bulb dry...

And some mounts to keep it from dangling and manifolds...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back