Neptune Aquatics

DIY Wood Stand or Aluminum Stand?

Just to be sure… this is the type of 2x4s I need? I spent an embarrassing amount of time trying to find straight ones that weren’t all messed up. Home Depot “Premium” wood is not very premium lol

Attachments

• IMG_8384.png
    IMG_8384.png
    92.8 KB · Views: 18
Or is supposed to be lumber…

You had me curious so googled it found this description on lowes site.

In terms who whats better for you comes down to your prefence and price. But key difference seems studs are meant to be vertical a flexible soft wood, lumber a firm hard wood seems to be more sturdy. Though I doubt you could go extremely wrong either way.

The lumber would be best choice according to this. Probably more desired as studs are inside walls which the wall material also firms the studs up as well. Lumber would probably be ideal I think as your tank stand would be standing along by design.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240525_181002_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240525_181002_Chrome.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
You had me curious so googled it found this description on lowes site.

In terms who whats better for you comes down to your prefence and price. But key difference seems studs are meant to be vertical a flexible soft wood, lumber a firm hard wood seems to be more sturdy. Though I doubt you could go extremely wrong either way.

The lumber would be best choice according to this. Probably more desired as studs are inside walls which the wall material also firms the studs up as well. Lumber would probably be ideal I think as your tank stand would be standing along by design.
I asked on another forum just to make sure. They also said it wouldn’t make a difference

Got all the wood cut so far. Honestly… I think I found a new hobby in wood working. I’m still not good at it lol but the process so far has been kind of fun. I’ve been looking at all the things I could build. Next is going to be a storage tote rack

Attachments

• IMG_8393.png
    IMG_8393.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 25
Got all the wood cut so far. Honestly… I think I found a new hobby in wood working. I’m still not good at it lol but the process so far has been kind of fun. I’ve been looking at all the things I could build. Next is going to be a storage tote rack
Excited to see this come together! Are you planning to stain or paint the stand once you finish the build?

Frame is practically done. Just going to put in a few more screws tomorrow. The plan I’m using only has one horizontal top brace and no center/back center vertical brace. I’m thinking of doing 2 top horizontal braces, 2 bottom horizontal braces (to support sump), and a back vertical brace. I don’t want a front center brace because it’ll limit my access in the sump. I read that up to 4’, it wouldn’t be necessary. Tomorrow I’m going to secure a piece of plywood for the top and the bottom. Then seal/paint everything

Attachments

• IMG_8396.png
    IMG_8396.png
    227.3 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_8395.jpeg
    IMG_8395.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 40
I forgot I had these spare black panels from a Red Sea 425 XL that got changed to white panels. Not sure if I want to figure out how to attach these or just skin it with wood and paint. These panels would be about 1/2” short on each side since the Red Sea 425 is 47”. The DIY option im looking at looks something like this image. It would be 1 piece and I’d attach the panel with counter sunk magnets. What would you guys do?

Attachments

• IMG_8405.png
    IMG_8405.png
    125 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_8404.png
    IMG_8404.png
    172.1 KB · Views: 30
I forgot I had these spare black panels from a Red Sea 425 XL that got changed to white panels. Not sure if I want to figure out how to attach these or just skin it with wood and paint. These panels would be about 1/2” short on each side since the Red Sea 425 is 47”. The DIY option im looking at looks something like this image. It would be 1 piece and I’d attach the panel with counter sunk magnets. What would you guys do?

I think what you have in mind is perfect. With a nice stain it will definitely be a attention grabber. Maybe some corner trim peices could work as well.

So I got the pieces of plywood cut for the skin at Lowe’s but they weren’t the best cuts… What would be the best way to get rid of the excess? It’s about 1cm all around

Attachments

• IMG_8417.png
    IMG_8417.png
    192.4 KB · Views: 23
So I got the pieces of plywood cut for the skin at Lowe’s but they weren’t the best cuts… What would be the best way to get rid of the excess? It’s about 1cm all around

A few options, I can think of.
Jig saw and a steady hand put some tape on top of plywood where blade will touch not to burn or scar wood (wouldn't matter if your Painting it)

Circular saw could work if your confident in your ability. (Use tape same as above)
A hand saw as well would just would take alot of swear effort.

If you have access to a table saw that would be best way for precesion. Not worth buying one for this.

Yet above methods will definitely work just take your time.

One more option I can think of is to drop another sheet of plywood maybe some cheap stuff under, your top layer to match the height or a peace of panneling on top.

A few options, I can think of.
Jig saw and a steady hand put some tape on top of plywood where blade will touch not to burn or scar wood (wouldn't matter if your Painting it)

Circular saw could work if your confident in your ability. (Use tape same as above)
A hand saw as well would just would take alot of swear effort.

If you have access to a table saw that would be best way for precesion. Not worth buying one for this.

Yet above methods will definitely work just take your time.

One more option I can think of is to drop another sheet of plywood maybe some cheap stuff under, your top layer to match the height or a peace of panneling on top.

Im dumb I just realized it’ll only cover 1cm even all around outside of the 48”x24” area so it wouldn’t really matter anyways. It’ll just cover a bit of the trim on the aquarium which I’m ok with

Structurally, the stand is complete. I made the cutouts for the bottom panel and it wasn’t too pretty since I tried to do it with a miter saw so I’m going to get some 1x2s tomorrow and cut them to border the bottom of the stand like in the pic with the example 2x4s that way there’s no gaps for stuff to fall into. I have a jig saw and router coming in tomorrow so I can do the doors

Attachments

• IMG_8424.png
    IMG_8424.png
    230 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8425.png
    IMG_8425.png
    188.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8426.png
    IMG_8426.png
    199.9 KB · Views: 29
Track saw. One of handiest tools for accurately cutting large sheet goods if u don't have a big table saw. Sorry for introducing you to another tool :p

Back