Our mission

Do Deionizing resin beads degrade over time?

Hi All,

I have a bag of DI resin that I use to replenish my DI filters that is getting over the year mark. I was just curious if anyone knows if the beads degrade over time and if so, what they degrade to (mine are the color changing)? It seems like I read somewhere that after the year mark this starts to occur, but I don't remember the source so it could be incorrect.

Thanks!

* DE-IONIZING CARTRIDGES (DI)
Replacement DI cartridges come shipped in a Mylar® Bag. Keep it in its sealed, original packaging until use. You can store it for approx 6 months.

http://www.spectrapure.com/faq_p0.htm#LIFE

What manufacturer/brand did you use? Probably best to check their website as I have seen a few different numbers ;)

Thanks Gresham!

I got the DI Resin beads from BRS. I just looked at their website and see that they say it has a 2 year shelf life unopened. So probably the 6 months storage is more realistic. This actually makes sense to me as I've noticed over the last few months that I've been going through the DI Resin a lot faster and its not changing color but is definitely spent according to my TDS meter. A concern/curiosity of mine was if degraded resin beads leach anything into the water. I have no idea what these beads are made of so no clue, but curious still. :)

At this point I'm not going to use the rest and I'll get a new supply.

Thanks again!

YOu got me curious though so I sent an email to a water expert I know. I want to know why they degrade :) I suspect 02 or C02 is to blame, but I don't know why and I don't feel like Googling it and wading through a ton of stuff that may or may not be accurate. So many companies are purely buy/sell.

Back