High Tide Aquatics

Does your chaeto have bugs?

To be fair, I'm pretty sure there is a BRS video about algae reactors where they talk about how hard it is to get clean chaeto and how important clean chaeto is when adding it to your tank to avoid unwanted pests. They then talk about algae barn and their clean macro algae :)

So my guess that the questions your got on reef central stems from that.

I'm not sure how many people QT chaeto and even if they did, what they would do to ensure something nasty wasn't hiding in it -- like flat worms, etc.

Well starting with clean chaeto doesn't mean it won't end up with bugs in it, after all it's probably a nicer ecosystem for them to hang out in than the rocks of your aquarium.

Also I love how places like Algae Barn have the disclaimer that they can't guarantee it's completely pest free.... then why do you advertise it as CLEAN chaeto!? Seriously, people are paying a premium to get CLEAN stuff, not to just get chaeto.

Oh no I completely get it.

When I had chaeto it was full of pods, bristle worms, and all sorts of stuff.

I think the biggest thing people really care about are major coral pests.

Like are you selling chaeto out of a tank with a massive aefw infestation? :)

for me the biggy is aiptasia ... AEFW? ok so I lose all my acros, then they're gone or I fight them... aiptasia... yeah there's nothing to do about that other than trying to kill them off for the rest of your reefing life.

It's funny. Everyone has different experiences.

I've had aptasia, but peppermint shrimp have always taken care of them for me. Things like aptasia x or a needle full of kalk paste injected into them did nothing but make them spread faster..

Now red turf algae.. if someone has a solution there I'd love to hear it. I'm embarrassed but the shit is all over my tank AGAIN after I fully tore it down and acid washed the rocks. By far been the most invasive and worst thing I've ever had in my tank. -.-

I've had monti eating nudies, red bugs, zoa eating nudies. Red turf.. ugh.

I posted the video partly just for fun and also to acknowledge even in a lab it is nearly impossible to culture pure chaeto with ‘no bugs’. If chaeto will grow so will nearly anything else if given a chance. LOL

Most people really mean do you have a know pests and I normally indicate I have valonia which my two bar rabbit fish is vigorously eating.

For me I love getting nice and green chaeto with lots of visible amphipods since if they are present then I know system is pretty stable.

Back