got ethical husbandry?

DOS swapping back to flexible hoses from RODI lines

kinetic

Supporting Member
So I converted my two DOS pumps to RODI lines when I first got them. I've constantly battled air bubbles in them, and I've been noticing that the levels of dosing just aren't very consistent.

I'm struggling a lot with the tank, and simplifying as much as I can.

I want to move back to regular airline hoses and removing my RODI lines.

Anyone go back and saw a big improvement in consistency?

So I converted my two DOS pumps to RODI lines when I first got them. I've constantly battled air bubbles in them, and I've been noticing that the levels of dosing just aren't very consistent.

did you put the RODI line over the nipple of the standard dos connectors or modify using a 1/4” push connect to 1/8” NPTF adapter?

Long time no see. It was posted a couple weeks ago of someone having a similar issue. I like what @RandyC came up with attaching some push connect fittings to the DOS.

I don’t have any insight into switching them out and then switching them back, but I’ve kept mine with the tubing that comes with the DOS and not had any major issues for years, if that helps. I just recalibrated recently and it was holding dosing amounts perfectly, going from the garage through the wall, into my sump.

More importantly, it’s great to hear from you again Art. Looking forward to more of your amazing tank photography!

did you put the RODI line over the nipple of the standard dos connectors or modify using a 1/4” push connect to 1/8” NPTF adapter?

I did the conversion for the NPTF adapter.

I would look at the connectors if you’re getting air in the lines.

I've been looking at them forever. I've redone them about twelve times. I use the liquid teflon, regular teflon, and even wrapped them in plumbing tape. Still getting bubbles. The bubbles are coming from somewhere else, on ALL FOUR pumps (I have two units). I've been banging my head on the wall. So really, the next step would be to just give up on the RODI lines and try going back to the airline tubes that it was designed for

Long time no see. It was posted a couple weeks ago of someone having a similar issue. I like what @RandyC came up with attaching some push connect fittings to the DOS.

Yeah, I used push connect fittings from the beginning. It's been unsuccessful =( =(

I don’t have any insight into switching them out and then switching them back, but I’ve kept mine with the tubing that comes with the DOS and not had any major issues for years, if that helps. I just recalibrated recently and it was holding dosing amounts perfectly, going from the garage through the wall, into my sump.

More importantly, it’s great to hear from you again Art. Looking forward to more of your amazing tank photography!

Yeah, good to know. I don't even remember why I wanted to do this modification in the first place. I'll go back to using the regular setup.

And yeah, it's time to take more photos of the tank. I've been slacking because I got a puppy early last year (Jan 2019), and she's basically my entire life now, and all my photos taken since then are all of her haha.

I did the conversion for the NPTF adapter.

I've been looking at them forever. I've redone them about twelve times. I use the liquid teflon, regular teflon, and even wrapped them in plumbing tape. Still getting bubbles. The bubbles are coming from somewhere else, on ALL FOUR pumps (I have two units). I've been banging my head on the wall. So really, the next step would be to just give up on the RODI lines and try going back to the airline tubes that it was designed for

Yeah, I used push connect fittings from the beginning. It's been unsuccessful =( =(

Yeah, good to know. I don't even remember why I wanted to do this modification in the first place. I'll go back to using the regular setup.

And yeah, it's time to take more photos of the tank. I've been slacking because I got a puppy early last year (Jan 2019), and she's basically my entire life now, and all my photos taken since then are all of her haha.

what containers are you using and how are you connecting to those?

what containers are you using and how are you connecting to those?

I'm just using some regular acrylic ones, and completely submerging the inlet line into the liquid. I was using the little "nipple" at first, which does something similar, but I cut those out and just stuck the RODI tube straight down to the bottom to eliminate any more sources of bubbles.

I'm pretty sure the bubbles are coming from the connectors to the DOS... though with all the troubleshooting and it still isn't resolved, it could be a worse problem (like the lines inside the pumps aren't connected properly or something).

Replace the inner tubing that goes inside the pump head. They can have teeny tiny little micro holes. If it’s not the connectors it’s gotta be that.
Good idea! While I'm in there, I'm probably just going to swap back the airline tubing just to get it all buttoned up.

Replace the inner tubing that goes inside the pump head. They can have teeny tiny little micro holes. If it’s not the connectors it’s gotta be that.

They also use a zip tie to clamp the tubing to the inside barb. Might want to check that or just replace it.

For me, the air bubbles are in the output line, so they’re coming from the connectors or from inside the head. No bubbles in the input at all. I tried Neptune’s lines, RO lines without the conversion and a 4/6 silicone hose. All with the same result.

What works surprisingly well - cheap drip system black 1/4" tubing.
It is soft enough to get over the nipple on the connector well, and has a fairly thick wall.

Depending on the tubing material, air may be able to get back up from the end of the tubing over your sump. I haven’t had a problem with the Neptune tubing doing this, but I theory if the cohesion factor between the tubing material and water/elements is low enough it could happen. But with opaque tubing it’s going to be impossible to figure it out probably.

If your calibration is spot on, then don’t worry about the bubbles. ;)

I get some bubbles, but every time I check calibration, it’s dead on.

Back