High Tide Aquatics

Dosing Lanthanum and vodka low ph.

Hello.
I’ve started dosing Lanthanum ( 25ml ) Richard Ross mix 23ml to 1.75l. And vodka 50ml a day. Before this my ph at night would be 8. During the day it would be 8.2. Now it’s been dropping 7.6 at night and 8.1 during the day. I run skimmer line outside. Fuge lit at night . Open the window a little. Dose Kalk in the make up water day and night. Does anyone have any tips or tricks. Advice ? Before I stop dosing.

Carbon dosing drops pH because it promotes bacterial metabolism. All metabolism decreases pH. The way to add carbon to the system to decrease N and P without dropping the pH is photosynthesis.

I don’t know what the effect of lanthanum on pH is, someone who has used it could chime in about that.

Also since it’s been cold you may have closed your windows, with increased ambient CO2 in your house. Using a CO2 sensor is an eye opening experience.

I haven’t noticed any drop in PH dosing lanthanum. I did notice an impact when carbon dosing as JVU points out.

I’d also add that hobby grade PH probes seem to be pretty crummy and require fairly frequent calibration, so I’ve learned to not stress too much about random PH swings…YMMV.

Does not lanthanum reduce the ability to take up alkalinity? I have used it for a while and since I stopped PH increased significantly.
My alk is fine but my ph is dropping like a rock. Ive never really test my phos and nitrate. This year I told myself I’m going to be more on it. And see if my sps grow better. But my ph is really low. I’m afraid to rtn my sps. So probably gonna cut back some. And come at it from a different angle.

I’ve started slow with vodka about 3 months ago. Ramped up gradually. It’s been slowly dropping. Then I started adding lanthanum about two weeks ago. Then it started dropping faster.
So now I’m gonna cut everything back to minimum and let it settle out. I don’t want to push it so hard. Just to get the numbers that people say it should be.

Back