Cali Kid Corals

Drilling acrylic

newfly

Supporting Member
I am making a DIY kalk stirrer. Need to make 2 holes on the top of an acrylic dosing reservoir.

Attached is the container I want to drill ( on the top, next to existing hole) and the 2 drill bits. I’m sure the small drill bits will do a good job. Any idea if the large wood drill bits 5/8 inch will work? I don’t have other large bits.

Attachments

• IMG_1313.jpeg
    IMG_1313.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1314.jpeg
    IMG_1314.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 30
I would not use the spade bit. If you’re using regular drill bits start small and step up in size. Starting too large will crack the acrylic. A hole saw would bit better using a wood/acrylic template of some sort. Or you can use a step bit.

I am making a DIY kalk stirrer. Need to make 2 holes on the top of an acrylic dosing reservoir.

Attached is the container I want to drill ( on the top, next to existing hole) and the 2 drill bits. I’m sure the small drill bits will do a good job. Any idea if the large wood drill bits 5/8 inch will work? I don’t have other large bits.
Definitely don't use that wood bit, a metal or ceramic one would work better. Wood is softer so it gives helping that point sink in with minimum pressure. That wood one on acrylic won't sink in so means you will have to press down very hard and it will
likely slip scratch the acrylic or end up going in your hand ouch. There is a very high chance of cracking acrylic with that wood one as well.

I agree with the bits that others suggestef. Pretty cheap on amazon as well.

Should only take light pressure to go through the acrylic with right bit.

Definitely don't use that wood bit, a metal or ceramic one would work better. Wood is softer so it gives helping that point sink in with minimum pressure. That wood one on acrylic won't sink in so means you will have to press down very hard and it will
likely slip scratch the acrylic or end up going in your hand ouch. There is a very high chance of cracking acrylic with that wood one as well.

I agree with the bits that others suggestef. Pretty cheap on amazon as well.

Should only take light pressure to go through the acrylic with right bit.

Ceramic bits tend to either be spades (which you are calling a wood one), or use impregnated grit on a hollow tube. Standard twists drills won't do ceramic.

Standard twist drill bits for metal that you'll find at Home Depot, etc are either 118° or 130° point angle, and acrylic you want 60° to 90° (5/8 you'll want a 60°). You'll want flat facets and a slow helical. None of those are found at a hardware store, but TAP does stock and sell them. Short of that, a step drip would be best in this case. Holes saws work, but they tend to heat the area up too much. For larger holes, a router is best.

Back