Reef nutrition

Dutch oven recipes

Just bought myself a nice camping DO. http://doitbest.com/Main.aspx?PageId=64&SKU=604259 Free shipping to west portal. Amazon is having a sale on the non camping ones for super cheap also + free shipping.

I've always wanted one but now I need some recipes! Deserts, stews cooked for hours, things cooked fast anything good! I bought the camping one specifically to do some coals on top action for campsite pizza :bigsmile:.

Don't know about camping, but this recipe is great in a dutch oven...and yes it's from my new blog, but I still would have recommended this recipe to you.

Chicken Cacciatore
http://resourcefulgourmet.blogspot.com/

-Gregory

Beef burgundy comes to mind when I think dutch oven.... If I get some time I'll post my recipe up.

Now get some lard and get to seasoning that bad boy!! :D

from the good ol days of simplicity:

Fruit Cobbler:
big can of fruit incl syrup (peaches often)
..covered by a box of yellow cake mix (just the dry mix)
and topped with a few generous slabs of butter.

slow cook (starting cool) with a dutch oven using coals on top and bottom.

car camping or real camping (backpacking)?

Do you like the ocean + camping?
Stillwater Cove is excellent for car camping on the coast (and has hot showers after a cold day).

has to be car camping in part. No backpacker in their right mind would bring a dutch oven....then again, most of us aren't in our right minds :p

Yup... I've lugged on a backpacking trip :lol: We just distributed the weight of the other "group" items amongst everyone else... we wanted fresh bread and needed to do a cake for some one.

oh, so you shared the load....unlike when I went hiking :p people would hang their extra shoes etc on the outside of their packs and we would fill them up with rocks etc as the hike progresses...
/ninja backpacker

Oh we shared rocks as well, that's always fun especially at elevation :lol: We split up the ropes/climbing gear, cooking gear, food and first aid amongst everyone and shared that load. What ever else you wanted to bring was up to you. I pack light for the most part :)

Gomer said:
has to be car camping in part. No backpacker in their right mind would bring a dutch oven....then again, most of us aren't in our right minds :p

Some things from my childhood when my pops (a friggin' animal along with his friends) and friends would go up for "harvest" in the high Sierras (10,000 ft+), full keg packed in, lobsters, hired french pastry chef, did I mention beer, a completely stocked cave with griddles (stupid porcupines like to chew on them), BBQs and a myriad of cooking items. All of those things required a brutal hike in, of course that's before it got way too crowded up there and we started having to go even more extreme in order to avoid seeing anyone on the trail. Oh yeah, the trips usually lasted 2 weeks+, the first few times I went up as a little guy I hated it, for some reason though I learned to love it, maybe it was the self medication :D

Back