Jestersix

Emergency- alk rising and ph dropping to dangerous level - complete tank crash

Switching gear to restart.

I wonder if anyone available this or next weekend willing to help. I can compensate with $$, beers, pizza etc

I’m in Santa Clara. I would love to get it setup again over a weekend. Since we are draining the tank, perfect time to get the tank level. Can’t do this by myself.
I'm available on Sunday.
Screenshot_20240628_092526_Chrome.jpg

Alk seems be in line. Ph is still very low at 7.2. Salifert and alkatronic is more or less the same. Even my temp 10g holding tank is showing ph is 7.4 .

Plenty of surface agitation, protein skimmer on, window open most of the day( except for mid afternoon ) .

I started dosing kalk to maintain the alk . I believe this will help but not by much. Fresh saltwater mix ph is ~8 . What can possibly cause drastic drop in ph? No fish left in the main tank. Some corals remains.

What should my next course of action?

Ignite the low ph? The fact that the temp holding tank is showing low ph is more puzzling.

Are you sure it’s not the probe? Do you have another way to test ph?

I don’t think 7.2 is even possible, mathematically, unless your alk is incredibly low.

I have the manual salifert ph test kit.

Based on this subject coming up on a few threads here recently I been watching a few videos. I saw this one this morning and gave me a fair over view of ph. As @derek_SR implied a common theme mentioned in the video was equipment issues are the problem most of the time. So make sure everything is good before taking any drastic action. It was a highly informative video to me anyway.

Last edited:
Back