got ethical husbandry?

Eric's 100 gallon adventure. (Formally 40g)

So this just came in the mail today. Let's see how it compares to the KHG.

20210922_123616.jpg

Read the directions carefully.

Inspect the lines on the inside of the unit, ensure they are flush and none are disconnected.

Check the input and drain line for knicks.

Place input tube upstream of dosing lines.

Enjoy!

Read the directions carefully.

Inspect the lines on the inside of the unit, ensure they are flush and none are disconnected.

Check the input and drain line for knicks.

Place input tube upstream of dosing lines.

Enjoy!
I'm pretty sure the sample line is kinked. I set it up on my lunch break and then I left. I can't get a water sample

Not much to update. I had a pretty gnarly cyano outbreak mixed with some dinos. Just did a 3 day black out and the tank looks good again. I really need to adjust my lights I think. The cyano came on strong right after I switch from ecosmartlive to WXM to control my radions. I like the full control of the lights from apex fusion but I sure miss the ecotech presets.

This is my newest issue. My skimmer is producing such thick foam that instead of going in the collection cup it knocks the lid off and goes everywhere. The foam is very slow and thick. If I adjust the skimmer it either works or doesn't foam enough. I thought I knew how to adjust a skimmer...

LRM_20211022_063717.jpg
LRM_20211022_063713.jpg
LRM_20211022_063726.jpg

WOW! That is skimming! Doesn't look brown, but it must be removing organics. Has it ever overflowed over the side of your sump? Is that plus ATO throwing your salinity out of whack?
My old skimmer has an old auto waste collector that just redirects excess skimmate back into the skimmer effluent if the collection vessel fills up. Simply uses a ping pong ball to block the collector entry. I saw some powered ones online that are expensive.
If it is not a collection issue at all, but just that the column lid sits on top and does not twist on, is there a way to do that? I have no experience with strong dry foam and don't know if it can be directed through a tube.
Hopefully someone here is a skimmer whisperer with adjustment ideas.

Any new additives to your routine or filter sock changes?

Brand new unwashed filter socks have cause overflows for me, but not nearly as thick as that. That looks like something organic related IMO

I like to run my skimmer pretty hard, and when I feed, I will get foam that builds up. I am pretty routinely letting a tube syphon out from my collection cup since I am always around my tank, but boy is my water clean :)

I like to run my skimmer pretty hard, and when I feed, I will get foam that builds up. I am pretty routinely letting a tube syphon out from my collection cup since I am always around my tank, but boy is my water clean :)
But that's the problem. There's almost no liquid to drain out. The foam is so thick it's not turning into skimmate

But that's the problem. There's almost no liquid to drain out. The foam is so thick it's not turning into skimmate
Can you make it skim a bit wetter by adjusting water level so it does flow out instead of straight foam pushing up?
Funny, most people want theirs to make less wet foam.

That's neat, but a pain to deal with. I would run the skimmer wetter for the day and replace the lost volume with salt water. You could put salt in your ato for that if you need to do it while you are away from home.

Back