Jestersix

Eric's 60ish gallon build.

I messed up. I need to install a check valve as much as I hate them on my return line. I drilled the two returns a bit lower than the overflow. When the pump is off that sump gets pretty full....
You might have it on there already, but can you locline the return and route it up higher to the water surface?

The first thing I noticed as well was wow that's an impressively high fill amount on the tank :).

You might have it on there already, but can you locline the return and route it up higher to the water surface?

The first thing I noticed as well was wow that's an impressively high fill amount on the tank :).
It’s actually a mistake I made as well in the frag tank. Returns are lower than the overflow. Once I plumbed the locline on the returns, I just kinda arched them towards the surface and that’s enough to break the siphon when the return pump goes off. Kinda hard to see how the locline is placed but you can see the same issue with the return holes

Attachments

• IMG_0659.png
    IMG_0659.png
    176.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0660.png
    IMG_0660.png
    170.9 KB · Views: 20

It’s actually a mistake I made as well in the frag tank. Returns are lower than the overflow. Once I plumbed the locline on the returns, I just kinda arched them towards the surface and that’s enough to break the siphon when the return pump goes off. Kinda hard to see how the locline is placed but you can see the same issue with the return holes

For some reason my loc-line to bulkhead adapters are quite loose. When I add loc line to them the weight of it just swivels down and points into the sand. Definitely need to fix that.

I keep hearing this a lot. I even read somewhere someone mentioned their frag tank didn’t finally stabilize until they added sand. I feel like I’m missing something in my current frag tank. I’m considering doing a “shallow reef” instead of a frag tank with the new build since I’ll have 18”H now instead of 10”. Curious to see how Eric cooking his rock beforehand affects the ugly phase. Will be following alone to see the progress
I don’t have sand and growing corals well.

I keep hearing this a lot. I even read somewhere someone mentioned their frag tank didn’t finally stabilize until they added sand. I feel like I’m missing something in my current frag tank. I’m considering doing a “shallow reef” instead of a frag tank with the new build since I’ll have 18”H now instead of 10”. Curious to see how Eric cooking his rock beforehand affects the ugly phase. Will be following alone to see the progress
Fun fact, most frag tanks in Asia and many of them in Europe have sand at the bottom. It’s pretty interesting to see

So it’s not impossible to do

For some reason my loc-line to bulkhead adapters are quite loose. When I add loc line to them the weight of it just swivels down and points into the sand. Definitely need to fix that.
I've 3d printed loc line. That could be a good option, at least for the first piece where you could play with sizing.

I messed up. I need to install a check valve as much as I hate them on my return line. I drilled the two returns a bit lower than the overflow. When the pump is off that sump gets pretty full....
Taller sump !! Yeah check valves reliability isn’t the best but maybe the prettiest solution put on unions below for easy replacement if you can’t get tight lockline bends. You can also add an extra small black 45 degree pvc piece to gain solid height then attach lock line. There are also a few siphons stoppers on the market you attach before the lock line as well as well as DIY siphon breaks but may interfere with lids

Attachments

• IMG_7165.png
    IMG_7165.png
    367.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_7167.jpeg
    IMG_7167.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 27
Taller sump !! Yeah check valves reliability isn’t the best but maybe the prettiest solution put on unions below for easy replacement if you can’t get tight lockline bends. You can also add an extra small black 45 degree pvc piece to gain solid height then attach lock line. There are also a few siphons stoppers on the market you attach before the lock line as well as well as DIY siphon breaks but may interfere with lids

That's genius. Thanks!!!

Always calibrate your tools. I thought I way overshot my salinity at 40ppt. I was just about to start a decent sized water change with fresh ro water when I decided to check again. My milwaukee was 10ppt off.

Back