High Tide Aquatics

EV Charger Question

As the demand for EV’s go, there’s one important thing that has to evolve along with them and specially a matter of concern for older buildings.
A proper 240v connection.
Older circuit breaker panels have a certain limitation for the higher demand of amperage of today’s appliances and electronics that we plug in; in this case, the breaker panel has the main breakers rated at 60A each. The only high amp appliance is s clothes dryer that runs on 240v and the two 30A breakers are on the top bank; other than that, the clothes washer that runs on 120v; the only things that run off of this breaker box are the garage opener and lights; I’m sure there are plenty of plugs but nothing connected which makes me wonder why so many spaces are used in the breaker box. There are two available spaces; there’s a breaker, #14 that my guess is just to cover the slot; no wire connected to it at all.
Seems a popular solution for those people in similar situations that have a 220/240v already existing outlet, is to run a splitter box that allows for an EV to charge while the dryer is off and turns automatically off the power to the charger once the dryer is in use. Garage is across from the main panel, just one wall away to the tesla; dryer power outlet is about 25 feet away.
I guess my question would be if I can run a second 220v outlet from the main panel so the charger can be plugged in independently from the dryer.
Dryer itself draws ~ 26/28amps and the charger itself is a NEMA 24amp rated unit.
Any input much appreciated.

Attachments

• EBA60989-78BA-44A1-86DD-85439B466D0C.jpeg
    EBA60989-78BA-44A1-86DD-85439B466D0C.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 34044FD6-C58C-4765-ABBF-67A20242560C.jpeg
    34044FD6-C58C-4765-ABBF-67A20242560C.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 16401BAD-F504-4FFE-BFDE-09101BD4A27D.jpeg
    16401BAD-F504-4FFE-BFDE-09101BD4A27D.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 74
Been doing some homework; the switching adapter is the right way to go; upgrading electrical from the underground to the meters ain't gonna happen any time soon; too expensive.

My Main box from PG&E is 70 amps. My EVSE (What people call the "charger" is actually the Electtric Vehicle Service Equipment) is a 16 Amp 220V level 2, which is fine because my car only has a 3.3Kw charger. We had an electrician install it and he didn't touch the dryer ciruit.

For stuff like this, I just relied on the Electrician.

Thx Vince.
Is always best to be safe than sorry.
Electrician did look into it but maybe the look of the old breaker box made him turn the job down.
At the building where I live, a whole new electrical system is being put in place; according to the management company, "to meet the 21st century needs" but nothing in our apartment is being brought up to the "21st century".
I guess is a matter of thinking if the investment is worth it. I read that this type of panel supports only one 220/240 connection so I'll let my friends know and guess they will just run the splitter box off of the dryer connection.

As the demand for EV’s go, there’s one important thing that has to evolve along with them and specially a matter of concern for older buildings.
A proper 240v connection.
Older circuit breaker panels have a certain limitation for the higher demand of amperage of today’s appliances and electronics that we plug in; in this case, the breaker panel has the main breakers rated at 60A each. The only high amp appliance is s clothes dryer that runs on 240v and the two 30A breakers are on the top bank; other than that, the clothes washer that runs on 120v; the only things that run off of this breaker box are the garage opener and lights; I’m sure there are plenty of plugs but nothing connected which makes me wonder why so many spaces are used in the breaker box. There are two available spaces; there’s a breaker, #14 that my guess is just to cover the slot; no wire connected to it at all.
Seems a popular solution for those people in similar situations that have a 220/240v already existing outlet, is to run a splitter box that allows for an EV to charge while the dryer is off and turns automatically off the power to the charger once the dryer is in use. Garage is across from the main panel, just one wall away to the tesla; dryer power outlet is about 25 feet away.
I guess my question would be if I can run a second 220v outlet from the main panel so the charger can be plugged in independently from the dryer.
Dryer itself draws ~ 26/28amps and the charger itself is a NEMA 24amp rated unit.
Any input much appreciated.
That Zinsco panel is a fire hazard, they are notorious for breakers not tripping. Consider getting it replaced ASAP.

I have installed quite a few 50A circuits for chargers, and recently I suggested using the "dryer buddy" for someone who rented a house and did not want to spend the money on adding a dedicated receptacle for her Tesla. But the "splitter" ended up causing her dryer circuit breaker to constantly trip even when she set the charge amps below 80% of the 30A rating......I swapped out the breaker and it has been fine ever since.

That Zinsco panel is a fire hazard, they are notorious for breakers not tripping. Consider getting it replaced ASAP.

I have installed quite a few 50A circuits for chargers, and recently I suggested using the "dryer buddy" for someone who rented a house and did not want to spend the money on adding a dedicated receptacle for her Tesla. But the "splitter" ended up causing her dryer circuit breaker to constantly trip even when she set the charge amps below 80% of the 30A rating......I swapped out the breaker and it has been fine ever since.
Thanks for that info, I'll relay it promptly.

Agree with changing the panel out.

I dunno how much that fancy automatic one is, but they make 30A double throw double pole switches for like $45. But if you’re paying someone to do it the portable automatic option is probably better.

a legit electrician won’t touch it because they’d have to bring the whole thing up to current code.

Back