Reef nutrition

Fitness People? People who need to become fitness people?

heheh I was going to say, Art do you have a traditional Asian diet... that might be half your problem there :)

But damn you work out more in a week than I probably do all month (but I never was a very good runner)

Agree with Holldoll, probably doing too much cardio.. you have to have decent leg muscles though.

[quote author=zivic2play link=topic=2089.msg20628#msg20628 date=1180626455]
Try eating 2 bowls of rice before you sleep and 2 bowls in the morning. You'll look like Santa Claus by the end of the year ;D
[/quote]

hahaha.. I usually eat noodle before hitting the bed. I have to eat in the morning or I will die before lunch. I drink weight gainer. Ensure milk and regular milk. Yup Ensure milk... Anyone eats like me will gain atleast 10lbs a month but I'm not. If I eat less, I actually lose weight :( ..

[quote author=Holldoll link=topic=2089.msg20627#msg20627 date=1180625408]That's because you are doing a lot of carido and not enough weight lifting. Cardio will make you lean and trim, weight lifting is what actually makes you bigger. Instead of doing jump ropes I would start lifting weights. Start with 8 reps with as much weight as you can lift, when that becomes simple move up to 10 reps and then to 12. When 12 becomes easy move up in weight and go back down to 8. That's all you'll build muscle. You need to do 3 sets of 8 reps.
[/quote]

I lift a lot. 1.5 hours of lifting. I do 12 reps of everything, or more depending on when I'm about to pass out.

Mondays - Chest and Abs
Tuesday - Shoulders and Abs
Wednesday - Bicepts Forarms and Abs
Thursday - Legs and Triceps and Abs
Friday - Back and Abs

The weight I'm choosing is enough so that on the 10th rep I'm about to lose my form. I always have a spotter.

I've gained 50 lbs. in 4 years, with very little Body Fat. After I lift for 1.5 hours, I go and jump rope / run / tennis / basketball for as long as I can. While still in school, I'd workout and then play 4 hours of basketball every day. Now that I have a day job and a startup company, I only workout for 1.5 hours, and do 30 minutes - 1 hour of cardio on weekdays =P but since I've gained that 50 lbs, I can't gain anymore. still stuck.

I'm not sure if I want to give up the lean feel to gain more weight. I need more protein or something. I'll talk to Barry Bonds and Mark McGuire about their secrets ;) or wait... the secrets out already.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2089.msg20630#msg20630 date=1180627090]
heheh I was going to say, Art do you have a traditional Asian diet... that might be half your problem there :)

But damn you work out more in a week than I probably do all month (but I never was a very good runner)

Agree with Holldoll, probably doing too much cardio.. you have to have decent leg muscles though.

[/quote]

well my asian diet is even worse now, now that I'm eating all organic foods with very little salt and oil. no soy sauce in the house! crazy huh?

so I guess that's it, I need to eat fattier! IN-N-OUT HERE I COME!

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2089.msg20640#msg20640 date=1180638946]I lift a lot. 1.5 hours of lifting. I do 12 reps of everything, or more depending on when I'm about to pass out.
[...]
The weight I'm choosing is enough so that on the 10th rep I'm about to lose my form. I always have a spotter.
[/quote]

You're probably genetically predisposed to being lean. Which is pretty good for when you get older.

If you want to get more muscle mass, you'll probably need to cut down the reps to 6-8 range. Also you can do fast concentric motions and really slow eccentrics.

I'd keep the jump rope routine. Good basic plyometric exercise that benefits your tennis and basketball.

Eat a ton more protein too.

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2089.msg20644#msg20644 date=1180643648]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2089.msg20640#msg20640 date=1180638946]I lift a lot. 1.5 hours of lifting. I do 12 reps of everything, or more depending on when I'm about to pass out.
[...]
[/quote]

You're probably genetically predisposed to being lean. Which is pretty good for when you get older.

If you want to get more muscle mass, you'll probably need to cut down the reps to 6-8 range. Also you can do fast concentric motions and really slow eccentrics.

I'd keep the jump rope routine. Good basic plyometric exercise that benefits your tennis and basketball.

Eat a ton more protein too.
[/quote]

Hmm, so increase weight so that I can only do 6 - 8 reps max? what's fast concentric and slow eccentrics?

Yeah jump roping is so great. I feel so fast on the courts after a few weeks of solid jumping =) rhythm, control, bursts of speed, it's great. I'm still slow, but better than before ;)

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2089.msg20641#msg20641 date=1180639078]
well my asian diet is even worse now, now that I'm eating all organic foods with very little salt and oil. no soy sauce in the house! crazy huh?

so I guess that's it, I need to eat fattier! IN-N-OUT HERE I COME!
[/quote]

Well hell there's your problem! You're eatting what food eats.. wait you didn't say vegetarian... either way, eat some protein, a steak! One of the good ones pumped with sterio... er athletic suppliments

[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2089.msg20656#msg20656 date=1180656323]Hmm, so increase weight so that I can only do 6 - 8 reps max? what's fast concentric and slow eccentrics?
[/quote]

Yep, heavier weight.

In the example of bench press, you push the weight quickly, but lower it very slowly. Do a slow count of 4 or more when lowering. The lowering portion of the exercise is supposed to be what builds the strength and mass.

Weights aren't really my thing, so you probably can check with someone who's more hardcore.

[quote author=sfsuphysics link=topic=2089.msg20658#msg20658 date=1180657739]either way, eat some protein, a steak! One of the good ones pumped with sterio... er athletic suppliments
[/quote]

Hehe... chicken, canned tuna, egg whites. Low fat, high protein, fairly inexpensive :D

[quote author=Mr. Ugly link=topic=2089.msg20664#msg20664 date=1180665528]
[quote author=kinetic link=topic=2089.msg20656#msg20656 date=1180656323]Hmm, so increase weight so that I can only do 6 - 8 reps max? what's fast concentric and slow eccentrics?
[/quote]

Yep, heavier weight.

In the example of bench press, you push the weight quickly, but lower it very slowly. Do a slow count of 4 or more when lowering. The lowering portion of the exercise is supposed to be what builds the strength and mass.

Weights aren't really my thing, so you probably can check with someone who's more hardcore.
[/quote]

Yes I've heard lowering is definitely helps build strength, while the push is what helps build the explosiveness. I usually do a few at a medium pace, but only once in awhile with my last set doing as many as I can with a very taichi zen like control =P hehe. I think I should up my weight, slow down my lowering like you suggest and see what happens. Usually I'm so tired and lazy I just crank them out fast. I'll look around at other sources, or ask the super buff people working out next to me =P

Isn't canned tuna full of mercury these days? Nevertheless, I'll eat some more protein =) Still gotta have my veggies though! mmm. guess I"ll just be eating a whole lot more now.

[quote author=Ibn link=topic=2089.msg20673#msg20673 date=1180675848]
Yup, hit the weights and load up on protein. Also...sleep more! No, really, haha.
[/quote]

You bring up a good point. Sleep deprivation definitely works against gaining healthy weight. (keyword healthy =)

Art, you are about the same height I am....how much do you weigh now? I am at 180, 6ft tall.....I run 3 times a week on a treadmill 30 minutes and about 3.5 miles dist....that's just to wake myself up after work so I can drive home without being sleepy. Sometimes I lift some weights, but not so much. Softball every week, and when I have time - backpacking in the summer..... and I eat alot too. : )

Hey Arnold, I weighed in at 120lbs. in 2001, 190lbs in 2005, and now I'm at 175lbs.

Crazy huh? Earlier this year I was at 165lbs. (stress, lack of sleep, really bad cold...)

I'm going to try to gain back to 190lbs again, that was my best weight / healthiest time. I have to eat more... time to visit the snack machine... ;)

175 isn't too bad, how tall are you again?

But yeah I was the same way in 1992 I weighed 125 pounds (at 5'11") took Karate for a couple years and became a very lean and mean 155, quit, and dropped 30 pounds in 30 days sitting on my butt infront of the computer all day. The the metabolism cranked down a bit and I was 170.. 180.. 188 before I was like "OH shit, I'm fat now!" now I'm back down to 170, and trying to get some tone back.

Back