Cali Kid Corals

Fluval Evo 5-Tank journal

Hello everyone,

I had posted under the “Fyi” thread yesterday. I’ve been in the hobby for a few years on and off. I wanted something small and I got this Fluval. Right now it’s going thru nitrifying cycle. I will get reading later today. Just looking for some advice on this build ( thanks nano_max). I will post pictures.
50F4767E-A481-4536-8226-6A114B1C0D78.jpeg
E1261B25-8493-453C-A5B1-A315A698E7A6.jpeg
DFE9514D-5ED8-4E6B-9EC8-4695E674B058.jpeg

**Update**

Added live rock rubble to the refugium and two clownfish from Cheeto. Also a frag of bam bams, blue mushroom, red monti and spongodes monti

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

**update**

Clownfish are doing great. Names are Vanilla and Sexual chocolate (coming to America) lol. I also added the bam bam zoa to display still have the blue mushroom along with both montis on the refugium. I’m debating on placing the montis now. Not quite sure if it’s appropriate to add to this small tank. If I decide it to add them, I’ll give back to cheeto. Also, I added a reef glass skimmer!
dce08a0146ca230f74ace2e22fc5e731.jpg

8060233057290dadc45324907aed7974.jpg

f837eb1eaabd2e6528c904fe8d2cd0b2.jpg

If they are montipora capricornis, give them space to grow and enough flow that detritus does not accumulate on top. When monti caps grown out, it will shade everything below it. Caps seem to get along ok when I had them so I put them together and let them spiral in to each other. What type of monti do you have?

I love the Fluval 5Gs... great form factor. Ran a few for years... including one on my work desk before upgrading that to a IM20.

you don't really need a skimmer for something that small. I used on in the Fluval EVO 13.5G and stop using it after a few weeks... was more problem than it was worth. Just doing a weekly WC (even bi-weekly after established) and you're good to go.

The biggest thing for me is an ATO. I like the smart micro ato since evap can be meaningful in a small tank.

my old tank:

1590083376813.png

If they are montipora capricornis, give them space to grow and enough flow that detritus does not accumulate on top. When monti caps grown out, it will shade everything below it. Caps seem to get along ok when I had them so I put them together and let them spiral in to each other. What type of monti do you have?

Red and a spongodes

I love the Fluval 5Gs... great form factor. Ran a few for years... including one on my work desk before upgrading that to a IM20.

you don't really need a skimmer for something that small. I used on in the Fluval EVO 13.5G and stop using it after a few weeks... was more problem than it was worth. Just doing a weekly WC (even bi-weekly after established) and you're good to go.

The biggest thing for me is an ATO. I like the smart micro ato since evap can be meaningful in a small tank.

my old tank:

View attachment 16031

Nice tank. I have a tinge ato from my old tank. I’ll use that here.

Back