Neptune Aquatics

Frag Labels

MolaMola

Supporting Member
Any way to label frags growing in a tank? Last semester, students set up various little investigations and always had difficulty tracking growth because they lost track of what was what and it seemed things always got moved, so diagrams of placement did not work either. We had enough trouble with colored strings outside of the tank degrading or falling in that I am leery of using them in-tank. Zip ties? I guess those would be okay on frag plugs as long as they did not come off. No permanent ink, right?

Are you keeping corals on frag plugs?

I'm sure I can 3d print some tags that would fit on a frag plug, something with a number for reference. I tinkered with a ruler for an sps grow out contest with another club (that was drama).

The only flaw is it would be useless if it gets covered in algae.

Are you keeping corals on frag plugs?

I'm sure I can 3d print some tags that would fit on a frag plug, something with a number for reference. I tinkered with a ruler for an sps grow out contest with another club (that was drama).

The only flaw is it would be useless if it gets covered in algae.

Thanks, we were going to do that last year with colored filaments but worried about plastic going rogue in tank, plus algae growth.

Have you thought of a laminator? Lay your labels on a the plastic sheet with some separation, fire them through the laminator, all the inbetween should be melted enough to simply cut them after. Doesn't even need to be terribly fancy either, just a numbering system.

Or if you're worried about ink in the tank go low tech if you have frag plugs, just carve some Roman numerals in the side

Scared of stray laminator plastic in the tank clogging something. Good idea about carving numbers; I only thought about making plugs different shapes or lengths.
Thanks for the ideas you guys!

Back