got ethical husbandry?

Featured MEMBERS ONLY Frag Swap - October 19th in the South Bay

Will you be attending?

• Total voters
My first swap with BAR! I wish my tank was more than a month old with more than just newly purchased frags. I did buy some nice ultra torches from CFM, maybe trading one of those so I can hunt for a Strat may be worth it :p I'll find something out of this tank eventually. Can't wait!!

My first swap with BAR! I wish my tank was more than a month old with more than just newly purchased frags. I did buy some nice ultra torches from CFM, maybe trading one of those so I can hunt for a Strat may be worth it :p I'll find something out of this tank eventually. Can't wait!!
I wouldn't give up one of your torches quite yet. Maybe try to pickup some frags from other members or LFS partners.

Definitely don't give away a torch, some members do, yet typically they have had them long enough where they are forced to frag them due to space limitations or over abundance. They aren't trying to trade something nice they recently got. At the swap you will definitely leave with more corals than you bring. So would only look for 3 affordable non banned list coral to gain entry. While you let your troches grow out.

Swaps are about sharing with others some frags of something that’s already growing well in your tank. Don’t give away something you just got that you like. Seriously, don’t do that.

Also if your tank is only a month old you shouldn’t be buying expensive/difficult coral, if you don’t mind some unsolicited advice earned through loss. This hobby is a marathon, not a sprint.

People, including myself, are often happy to donate the 3 entry frags for new members.

Looking forward to the swap!

I agree, thanks for looking out. So far so good in the risk I took with these crazy expensive corals. I’m looking forward to the day this system can be called “mature”. I’m still trying to find some pods, lol. I missed the hobby so much and got excited with all these new corals that came into the scene . I’ve been coming out to sit in front of the tank every day for hours . And although I haven’t had a chance to grow anything out yet, I’ll make sure I bring stuff that will hopefully make someone happy. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon. To making new friends and sharing this great hobby with you all!

I agree, thanks for looking out. So far so good in the risk I took with these crazy expensive corals. I’m looking forward to the day this system can be called “mature”. I’m still trying to find some pods, lol. I missed the hobby so much and got excited with all these new corals that came into the scene . I’ve been coming out to sit in front of the tank every day for hours . And although I haven’t had a chance to grow anything out yet, I’ll make sure I bring stuff that will hopefully make someone happy. Looking forward to meeting everyone soon. To making new friends and sharing this great hobby with you all!
I'm not sure of your reefing knowledge just make sure you give other corals space from your torches if you aren’t already aware. They have long sweepers and will sting and kill other things. A quick google search before getting something cool will make you a little more informed and lessen the potential of bad impluse decisions you may later regret.

If you don't know what it is, better not to get it, even if it’s free. Google is great for quick overviews with coral and fish care requirements.

@Coral Hub (Nathan) should be able to get you set on some pods and phytoplankton if you need some. I'm not sure if he has anything ready at the moment but I could reup on some as well. ;) ;)

I’ve heard a lot of good things about @Coral Hub (Nathan) . Although I haven’t gotten any personally from there. I seeded my tank with pods from Reef Nutrition that I picked up from Neptune Aquatics and only dosed once and had a well established colony. Only other time I dosed was a free bottle I got in a raffle at the last CFM. I moved rock over to my new frag tank and I already see a crazy amount of pods on the glass every night, and I didn’t even intentionally add any in there.

I have bought pods from half a dozen vendors (unnecessary I know). I recommend Dinkins Aquatics. Just wait for a sale which happen often. That said, I don't think it is necessary to buy pods generally. If you want to establish a pod population more quickly then buy once and you should be good.

Also, if you want to trade for a Strat I may be able to do so in a few months. Unfortunately they have a tendency to melt so uncertain whether my Strats will survive my bad decision to put the plug on a stand on the sand bed with fish digging all around. I only recently moved the plug in an effort to save it.

Back