Our mission

Fragging Green Hairy Mushrooms

thesassyindian

Supporting Member
Folks, Any tips on how to frag green hairy mushrooms?
They've taken over half of my arch, and I want to frag some individual disks.

Any tips on removing them out from the side of the arch (taking the arch out of the tank isn't really an option).

I have some coral cages ready to go to aid in attaching the frags to 2" frag disks.

Thanks!

They are challenging because they have a large foot that gets into all the little crevices.

2 main options:

- Chip off bits of rock under their foot. This is the most likely to result in a happy mushroom. If the rock pieces are large enough you can glue them together or to another rock or disc, and ready to go. Downside is it is difficult, time consuming, and you lose some of your rockscape.

- Cut with a rigid scalpel/knife along where the foot attaches to the rock as best you can. You will wind up cutting the foot some as well. Much faster though still not easy. Downsides are that some mushrooms may not survive this, they will take longer to reattach, and some little bits may grow back as small mushrooms. These little ones can then be dealt with much more easily.

I don’t know of an easy way to get them off. If someone else does, I’d be interested.

They are challenging because they have a large foot that gets into all the little crevices.

2 main options:

- Chip off bits of rock under their foot. This is the most likely to result in a happy mushroom. If the rock pieces are large enough you can glue them together or to another rock or disc, and ready to go. Downside is it is difficult, time consuming, and you lose some of your rockscape.

- Cut with a rigid scalpel/knife along where the foot attaches to the rock as best you can. You will wind up cutting the foot some as well. Much faster though still not easy. Downsides are that some mushrooms may not survive this, they will take longer to reattach, and some little bits may grow back as small mushrooms. These little ones can then be dealt with much more easily.

I don’t know of an easy way to get them off. If someone else does, I’d be interested.
Agree, I would try the first method as it is similar to how I frag zoas. Rock cutters with a precise tip will help, then try to fragment small chucks of rock with the tips of the cutters.

Any suggestions for rock cutters?

I’ve heard that blasting them with a power head urges them to let go and float around the tank. Will try this method first.

If that doesn’t work, I’ll go full Jack Bauer on the rock.

For reference, this is how much they’ve grown from one dime sized polyp:

8FA88476-E95E-4FA4-87B8-4678A2FCBFF6.jpeg

Back