Jestersix

Fragging Torch Corals - Cutting Flesh?

CaseyP

Treasurer
BOD
I have two torch corals that are getting a bit unruly and have grown to the point where they're stinging a lot of surrounding corals. The purple has approximately 7 heads and the gold 15+. The part I'm hesitant about with cutting is that all the heads are connected by flesh even when the head structure is fully separated. I'm used to fragging my hammer colony which has skeleton exposed at the base of the stalks. I want to get all my ducks in a row before borrowing the club's band saw to hack it up.
  • Is there any mortality risk by cutting where the flesh is even with dipping afterwards?
  • Should I just wait until there's skeleton exposed?
  • Any tried and true processes you've had when cutting the fleshy parts that minimizes loss?
DSCF2428.jpg

Last edited:
Wow those are long sweeper tentacles! I’m interested to see what people more experienced fragging torches than I am say about this.

It would probably help if you also took a pic of them with the sweeper tentacles retracted so we can see the base and flesh more.

I’ve done it plenty. Wouldn’t worry too much.
Any special treatment or prep to the cut area or rip right through it with the band saw? I have this weird fear of the flesh just starting to slough off. Probably because of a previous torch I had that bailed completely from its skeleton in one big fleshy piece.

Will try to get pictures tonight when it's closed up more. This would have been a great piece to bring to the fragging workshop like the one back in June.

I've been thinking about how to frag my gold torch too... it's up from one head last thanksgiving to 9! do you keep the whole thing underwater when using the bandsaw?

Any special treatment or prep to the cut area or rip right through it with the band saw? I have this weird fear of the flesh just starting to slough off. Probably because of a previous torch I had that bailed completely from its skeleton in one big fleshy piece.

Will try to get pictures tonight when it's closed up more. This would have been a great piece to bring to the fragging workshop like the one back in June.

Maybe iodine if nervous. Ive used it for elegance

Back