got ethical husbandry?

Free Phytoplankton

Anyone want some phytoplankton?
I have been growing my own phytoplankton for a few months now and I harvest every 3-4 weeks and get more than enough for my use. I initially got the bottle from algaebarn and have been growing them using 1.5 liters of 1.023 sg SW (freshly made) with 4ml of miracle grow liquid and 0.5ml of Kents essential elements per bottle. Can make 3 ziplock bags of them (500ml ish) per request.

61E765D0-06FE-47FB-A44F-0390B9A436E8.jpeg

How is your setup

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i fill two 2 liter bottles up to 3/4 with new SW 1.022 sg, add 4ml miracle grow liquid and 0.5ml Kent essential elements. Add about 100ml ish of dark phyto liquid to make the bottles light green. I use 30w flood light for 16 hours a day. Aerate them 24/7 and shake them once a day or so. Add RODI water to sorta maintain Salinity and harvest in 3-4 weeks. Keep them refrigerated.

What are you using it for?
I dose my tank once in a while now to feed corals. Was dosing daily before to help outcompete dino. Not sure it helped but dino gone now combined with other remedies I think. I was also growing Copepods with it but Copepods take forever to grow and a little more work than I wanted to put in so not doing that anymore.

Hey! I had a crashed culture because i had more than one strain, which I didn't realize was bad, but interested in trying again. Think I could pick some up? Where in SF are you?

What are you using it for?
I picked up some the other week and have been growing it as well. My original though was if I want to culture rotifers and/or copepods, they need phyto for food. I was thinking rotifer or pod cultures would be great reef supplements. Plus someday I want to breed fish (not in my current apartment though) and it seems you need to be good at growing food to have luck raising fish. Then I thought of a bucket or two of gurgling water, and the scowls I'd get from the wife... So I just add phyto to the tank when I feed.

So you keep the 2-liter bottles in the fridge but put a light inside? You aerate with an air stone I imagine? Is this all in your regular fridge or like a dedicated mini fridge? Can you do zooplankton the same way or just phytoplankton?

Growing is done in room temp. Harvested phyto is kept in the fridge. I just use air tube. No stone. Copepods needs a bit more constant maintenance in my experience. Similar way but needs to be fed phyto constantly and replace SW to remove waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back