got ethical husbandry?

Frogspawn with two heads retracted

richiev

Supporting Member
Awhile back I got this frogspawn from @tankguy . One head is large, with the polyps always extended. Two heads are smaller, and the polyps are always retracted. I can't conclusively say if it's gotten worse, but it hasn't really improved in the weeks I've had it.

The extended head is healthy enough that it is growing new heads. Here is a picture showing the little heads growing, and the retraction:

PXL_20220419_191133488.jpg

There's a bit of hair algae growing on the stem, particularly the retracted ones, but I'm pretty sure that's an artifact of the retraction and not the cause. It also used to have a yellow sponge growing on the retracted head area, but I scraped it off thinking it might somehow be causing this.

Any advice? Should I lop the retracted heads off just to avoid anything bad occurring /or try dipping that side?

I've tried moving it around into more light, less light, more flow, less flow. I've tried feeding it a bit. Even if I just rotate the whole thing so the larger and retracted heads switch spots, it doesn't change anything. The larger is happy, the other isn't.

I can pull updated numbers on this tank if it'd help.

Since the small heads have been in poor health since day 1 and the main head is making babies, that seams like it is improving to me. If that is the case, I would keep watching it. Normally FS die pretty quick if something is off. Maybe the small heads were damaged while Fragging or transport? If you see brown slime on the heads, lop them off for sure ASAP, but if just it looks like you describe, leaving it will be less stress on the healthy head and its new babies. Focus on the main head and consider the small heads a bonus if they pull through. You will get more heads soon enough.

Frogspawn are pretty tolerant as to where they are in the tank as long as its not getting blasted by a PH and its in the typical range for most LPS in terms of light, starting low and moving to more PAR like anything else.

Back