Cali Kid Corals

Glass Tanks

patchin

Supporting Member
Has anyone ever broken or had a bad experience with a quality glass tank? Trying to decide between glass and acrylic for my next tank

No bad experience here.

I went with acrylic when I first got into saltwater and thought it was the coolest thing (I was already using acrylic tanks for freshwater).

And then....

I put in one scratch...

and then nine months later another scratch

ummmm...you get the point. :D

Finally upgraded tanks from thirtyish gallon tank to 58g and went back to glass. No you don't get that ultra clear look like acrylic will give you, but no more scratches either or certainly none that are that visible unless I were to pointh them out to you.

Added another tank (120g) and went glass too.

Theresa is afraid of breaking a glass tank by accident, vaccuum handle or something like that. There seem to be more larger used glass tanks. Not that 60-100 ga is large.

Yeah you should be safe. I won't buy another acrylic tank unless I get a 600G tank or bigger. If you like the clear look, go with low iron glass. The problem is low iron glass very expensive. Also if I look at it for a long time, I get a little headache for some reasons. Maybe because it's too clear??? The standard Oceanic tanks are very good. They are not low iron but very clear. Almost like low iron but won't give you the headache and cost a less :) .. How big of a tank you are going to get?

[quote author=patchin link=topic=2114.msg20878#msg20878 date=1181188877]
Theresa is afraid of breaking a glass tank by accident, vaccuum handle or something like that.[/quote]
Well, if she hasn't broken any televisions, she'll probably be ok :D

Glass is a really tricky beast, on one hand it is really strong, yet on the other it is quite fragile, it can take a pounding or it can get hit in such a critical way that fractures the whole thing.

That being said, have you ever had an acrylic tank? Personally the scratch factor keeps me from ever wanting an acrylic tank other than a grow out tank or something where I don't care. Glass you can run a razor blade over the surface and bammo done. Acrylic, you can get acrylic safe meshes and the like but accidently get one piece of sand in there and WAMMO

I have a plexi tank now. Have only added 1 or 2 scratches in about 5 yrs, but the sides look cloudy, so I guess I've done well with it. The story of my tanks is this. My 40 is getting too small, yes, it's shrinking. I was given a 50 ga corner pentagon tank on CL with PCs, stand and canopy. But the only corner in my living room has my big hunking TV. So the free aquarium would probably cost me thousands for a new flatscreen for the mantle. That tank would give me some more room, especially if I don't use a DSB, plus it has no internal overflow. So I need to decide whether to set up this tank or buy a larger 72 or 90 ga used tank. I can't afford a new tank and stand etc. Decisions, decisions. Any suggestions from your experiences?

Flatscreen tv's are not as expensive as they used to be. A client of mine told me he purchased a ~37" flat screen for about $800.00 or so at Costco.

As Jim said purchase as big of tank you are comfortable with.

Back