High Tide Aquatics

Goni Care

fishy408

Supporting Member
From readings:
  • Medium/High Flow
  • Low Light
  • High Magnesium
  • Recent history of success in the hobby, but previously had a low survival rate.
Has anyone kept Gonis for over a year? What has been the experience.

I used to have a lot of succes with Gonis - they loved my first tank when everything else was miserable, and even survived the crash and the reboot. But since I've started having success with SPS and everything else, my Gonis have all kind of withered away and I have given them to other folks to save.

• 4 colonies started from tiny frags. Three over 4 years old, one almost 2 years.
  • 4 frags over 6 months
  • Have killed 3 from what I can recall. They just happen to be expensive ones too :(
The most noticeable difference between surviving and thriving was when I started feeding consistently. I use easysps evo which is a zooplankton product like reefroids. Mine tolerate a pretty decent flow and are in medium light.

I think gonis historically (pre-2015?) were mostly collected from Australia and had terrible survival rates. Gonis now come from other parts like Indonesia and hardy ones have been aquacultured long enough that we're seeing much more success. Manganese seems to be the element I see talked about as a key element.

I currently have 8 different ones in my tank ranging in age from one month to two years. I lost two over the last year, but don't know why. They are all in different areas of the tank, different flows, different light. All have good polyp extension except for the malaysian rainbow that has not been happy since I added it 4 months ago. I would say goni's are my favorite coral (probably because they have done better than most of the others). I do feed my fish heavily. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I’ve found them pretty resilient to all lighting and flow conditions besides super duper high flow and the deciding factor for me is how much I feed and what size foods. If I feed a lot with smaller particle foods daily they thrive but when I take the foot off the feeding throttle and let auto feeders do the work they suffer the most.

I came across this that I thought was interesting: https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/who-keeps-multiple-gonis.859807/#post-8137172

"Goniopora corals should not be kept in a mixed reef garden. They are aggressive and will sting nearby corals. It is not wise to have more than one species of Goniopora in the same tank since that species will release a bio-active chemical that is toxic to other species of Goniopora."

I know goniopora and bernardpora have sweeper tentacles, but didn't know that they use chemical warfare like an anemone. There is no link to the article that person is referring to, so who knows?

I came across this that I thought was interesting: https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/who-keeps-multiple-gonis.859807/#post-8137172

"Goniopora corals should not be kept in a mixed reef garden. They are aggressive and will sting nearby corals. It is not wise to have more than one species of Goniopora in the same tank since that species will release a bio-active chemical that is toxic to other species of Goniopora."

I know goniopora and bernardpora have sweeper tentacles, but didn't know that they use chemical warfare like an anemone. There is no link to the article that person is referring to, so who knows?
Looks like not many were not agreeing with the alleged article given all the comments in response to his post. This is not something I would personally give much weight being a single source. I would expect something baring that type of claimed to be found/reported in multiple places. I don't know enough to honestly say true or false either way. Just my neutral amateur assement on his reported unverfiable article he said he encountered.

Back