Cali Kid Corals

Gonipora

Matthew Meyer

Supporting Member
Is it normal for gonipora to receed and then puff back out intermittently over the course of the day? The goni I have are usually pretty consistent. My new highlighter changes alot. Maybe it's the random flow generator changing the flow?

1000004855.jpg

I have 8 in my tank. They are all different. Two extend like crazy all day long. Two always have more mid way extension. The other three are more of a do what you feel like at any given moment.

I suspect as we learn more about them they will be like other corals. They will have a variety of different requirements depending on the type: flow, lighting, placement, food.

I don’t do reef roids or amino acids. But my fish get fed a lot. Maybe that’s what they like? I don’t know…

I have five of them, which do very well. However, they seem very susceptible to any changes. I do not think this behavior you are seeing is ‘normal’ or desired, but it might just be an adjustment phase for this new addition, so I would give it a couple of weeks until it gets used to your flow and light, etc.

I also do not use reef roids (phosphate) or aminos (dinos), but I add other coral food (captiv8).

Also, I believe gonies benefit a lot from proper major and minor trace elements, specifically but not only manganese.

Again, yours seems new, so I would continue to observe it without moving it or making other changes.

Hey buddy, how are you?
Try to move it to different spot in your, that is not normal unless you are feeding a fish swim by or something else is bothering it!

Gonis are very picky about flow and light I have 12 in my 65gal and they all liked my tank but always had to look for the right spot for them!

And if your doesn’t behave after moving it, I have one more spot for it in my tank hahaha Jk good luck buddy.

Not to divulge into a general goni wives tale thread, but my anecdote is I had one for awhile that barely extended. Didn't matter where I put it.

Eventually as a treatment to get rid of some bryopsis I used reef flux. Got rid of bryopsis and other stuff. After that my goni got more extended, and since then (nearly a year now) has been hardy seeming. Even after I replaced my frag tank and moved it to my new one it had no issues.

I have absolutely no data on why, but noting because it was interesting.

Hey buddy, how are you?
Try to move it to different spot in your, that is not normal unless you are feeding a fish swim by or something else is bothering it!

Gonis are very picky about flow and light I have 12 in my 65gal and they all liked my tank but always had to look for the right spot for them!

And if your doesn’t behave after moving it, I have one more spot for it in my tank hahaha Jk good luck buddy.
Pictures? You fragging any?

Not to divulge into a general goni wives tale thread, but my anecdote is I had one for awhile that barely extended. Didn't matter where I put it.

Eventually as a treatment to get rid of some bryopsis I used reef flux. Got rid of bryopsis and other stuff. After that my goni got more extended, and since then (nearly a year now) has been hardy seeming. Even after I replaced my frag tank and moved it to my new one it had no issues.

I have absolutely no data on why, but noting because it was interesting.
Reef Beef did a video with Scott Oliphant who explained how Reef Flux works. Basically, it messes with cellular function in many different organisms, not just fungus and bryopsis. Possibly it killed off some stressor?

Red one is wild, the rest are aquaculture and grown in my tank for almost a year now from tiny frags.

Which type of aquaculture?

In Situ (grown in the ocean, subject to parasites, etc)
Ex Sito (what most call aquacultured - tank grown, removed from the ocean, closed loop)

Mariculture is a type of aquaculture. In situ or ex situ are far better at describing what process was used.

Back