Jestersix

Hammer ID

Adit0

Supporting Member
Got an aussie orange hammer from violet sea a few days ago. Does this look likes it's wall or branching?
IMG_7401.jpg
IMG_7403.JPG

I was thinking branching hammers probably come in colonies too that get fragged... my gut says it's a wall but it does kind of look like two different heads of polyps in the first pic.
The blue one next to the clownfish is a wall for reference

The blue one next to the clownfish is a wall for reference
Oh I thought it was just a different angle.

I haven't kept a wall hammer in at least 15 years so I am rusty on the polyp shaping of wall. Branching I have kept many more.

Oh I thought it was just a different angle.

I haven't kept a wall hammer in at least 15 years so I am rusty on the polyp shaping of wall. Branching I have kept many more.
oops I meant the blue hammer next to the clownfish in the first pic (not the blue pic)

I got this a few years back from an importer on the east coast. End of Oct 2018,

I'd say it grows OK. But not fast... though, i lost all the original heads and regrew it to its present state from a lil polyp offshoot.

Here's a shot from when i orginally got it...

b03edf20d898e47c5c4f156283db89bc.jpg

This has grown from a 3 head frag into this in 4 years. This tank gets (unfortunately) only pellets several times each day.
I does get decent light, semi regular 30% water changes with NSW, and plenty of flow

Attachments

• E392A827-F02F-407B-991A-BC45348A8D6D.jpeg
    E392A827-F02F-407B-991A-BC45348A8D6D.jpeg
    129.6 KB · Views: 131
IMG_7778.JPG

I took this pic at night. It kind of looks like its splitting into two heads? Or do wall hammers also take on this kind of shape?

Cool follow up!
Are you able to take a top down pic when the lights are on? I am curious to know if there are now three circular growth patterns where there were only two in the first top down picture.

Back