got ethical husbandry?

Hanging T5/MH from a wall/mount height?

IOnceWasLegend

Frag Swap Coordinator
BOD
I'd like to mount my T5/MH lights tomorrow, but 1) this is my first time mounting lights, and 2) this is my first time with non-LEDs.

I've got a lowboy frag tank (10" deep), so any input how high the lights should be mounted to not fry the coral?

As for mounting: I know there's dedicated hanging hardware, but is there a simpler DIY approach from Lowe's? Was thinking about getting something like this and suspending the lights from eyehooks and chains: https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Everb...i-LIA-NA-NA-NE_LIA_Closets&source=shoppingads

Unfortunately, I can't hang it from the ceiling in the only location I can put the tank.

When I ran 250w MH with a lumenbrite reflector, I had it about 12in above the waterline. When you say "fry the coral" you mean from the heat, right? A 10" deep tank will heat up from the light, no doubt. I would start off high and then move down slowly as necessary (Ideally using a PAR meter). Are you growing out SPS?

When I ran 250w MH with a lumenbrite reflector, I had it about 12in above the waterline. When you say "fry the coral" you mean from the heat, right? A 10" deep tank will heat up from the light, no doubt. I would start off high and then move down slowly as necessary (Ideally using a PAR meter). Are you growing out SPS?

I'd like to, eventually. I'm going to start off with zoas/softies, move up to LPS when I feel the tank is stabilized a bit, and then grow SPS when it's matured a bit. So I'd like to have all three, ideally.

Regarding heat: I'm not going to run water through it until I've got a chiller hooked up to a temp controller installed on the system. I meant frying it from the light intensity, though.

I use the larger white version of those brackets for my MH setup, mine are the 16” version, which gets the lights right over the middle of my 24” deep tank because it’s a few inches from the wall. The cables are the same ones used for the aquatic life hybrid, which just happened to work for my setup. The griplock fittings make it really easy to adjust the height.
1D0736C0-5A99-4F95-808E-412E0BFB552A.jpeg

I use the larger white version of those brackets for my MH setup, mine are the 16” version, which gets the lights right over the middle of my 24” deep tank because it’s a few inches from the wall. The cables are the same ones used for the aquatic life hybrid, which just happened to work for my setup. The griplock fittings make it really easy to adjust the height.
View attachment 19939

Are you still using double ended mh bulbs?

Are you still using double ended mh bulbs?
Yep, I‘m running 14k Phoenix bulbs right now. I really need to switch over to some leds I picked up a little while back, but I need to make a bracket for them, and the MH’s have just been growing things so well...

Consider also plant hanger brackets. They look nicer and are designed to hold a weight at the tip and might be easier because the tip is curved to accept a loop of hook from plant hanger basket.

Make sure you connect to a 2x4 behind the walls and not just in the drywall with anchors. If the 2x4s aren't spaced right for where you want the hangers, consider screwing a piece of plywood into the 2x4s, then (after painting it) attaching the hangers to the plywood. That way the plywood will be well anchored to the wall and the hangers to the plywood.

If you want to use drywall anchors, use the expanding ones that expand behind the wall, not just the plastic ones that cram in a hole and make it a tight fit.

Just my 2 cents ... I'd hate to see a T5 fall into a tank!

V

Consider also plant hanger brackets. They look nicer and are designed to hold a weight at the tip and might be easier because the tip is curved to accept a loop of hook from plant hanger basket.

Make sure you connect to a 2x4 behind the walls and not just in the drywall with anchors. If the 2x4s aren't spaced right for where you want the hangers, consider screwing a piece of plywood into the 2x4s, then (after painting it) attaching the hangers to the plywood. That way the plywood will be well anchored to the wall and the hangers to the plywood.

If you want to use drywall anchors, use the expanding ones that expand behind the wall, not just the plastic ones that cram in a hole and make it a tight fit.

Just my 2 cents ... I'd hate to see a T5 fall into a tank!

V

Thanks for the input on those! I was planning on using the metal expanding brackets, but I do like the plastic ones better. I'll check those out.

Also, this is actually the light set you gave NanoCrazed. Ooc, how did you hang these previously? All the screws seem to be holding something in place; don't know if I should just drill and thread something in, but I'd rather replicate what you did if possible.

Thanks for the input on those! I was planning on using the metal expanding brackets, but I do like the plastic ones better. I'll check those out.

Also, this is actually the light set you gave NanoCrazed. Ooc, how did you hang these previously? All the screws seem to be holding something in place; don't know if I should just drill and thread something in, but I'd rather replicate what you did if possible.

I had never used it. I bought some LEDs before I had a chance to set it up!

V

I had never used it. I bought some LEDs before I had a chance to set it up!

V

Hmmmm. Damn, haha.

Given that there don't seem to be built in places for hanging hardware, should I just drill a spot where there's no wires and put in some type of hook? If so, any suggestions? Just a bit leery about four new holes in thin metal holding it up.

Back