Reef nutrition

Hello everyone, new to the group

Nitrates seem ok. Phosphates definitely high.
But that usually affects SPS far more than softies, so I am a little skeptical that is your problem.
Any cyano or algae problems?

I notice what seems to be a colt coral next to it.
Those can get into chemical warfare with other corals right next to them.
I would suggest separating them a bit. Perhaps running some carbon as well.

Do you have any other nutrient removal?
Chaeto in fuge? Algae Scrubber? Vodka dosing? Tons of live rock?
Thank you much. I really appreciate your help.

For filtration I have two media baskets at the two in-takes of the tank. The media baskets contain a compartment for gfo, carbon, and filter floss.

I also have a compartment in the back for Cheato, of which I have a (purple, and blue) light on for 9hours at night. There also is another compartment in the back of which houses porous blocks for beneficial bacteria.

I will try separating the coral more to hopefully reduce the likelihood of coral warfare.

The coral directly next to the Kryptonite candy cane, is unfortunately another unhappy candy cane varietal. I assumed two corals of the same genus can be close each other?? Either way I’ll space them out more. Thanks!

this is important...

Hi Rosato. My get my rodi from either Aquatic collection in Hayward, or Bay Bridge Aquarium in Oakland. I had my own rodi system for a while but do not anymore.
For salt, I used Rea sea. After that ran out I’m using Reef cystals (by Marineland I think). Planning on going back to Red Sea after this unless you have a recommendation.

Hi Rosato. My get my rodi from either Aquatic collection in Hayward, or Bay Bridge Aquarium in Oakland. I had my own rodi system for a while but do not anymore.
For salt, I used Rea sea. After that ran out I’m using Reef cystals (by Marineland I think). Planning on going back to Red Sea after this unless you have a recommendation.
Red Sea blue bucket is solid.

Are you at least able to test the TDS of your RODI water? I have trust issues with LFS water, but I have zero reason to feel that way.

Red Sea blue bucket is solid.

Are you at least able to test the TDS of your RODI water? I have trust issues with LFS water, but I have zero reason to feel that way.
Totally understand about the water.... I don’t have a TDS tester. Planning on getting another rodi system after the holiday season.

Here’s the link to info on supporting membership. Highlights for me are access to club equipment after a few months of membership, access to the buy sell trade section where members feed each other’s reef addiction with fair prices on equipment and home grown corals, and access to events. With Covid we have been having online events via zoom. We recently had Rich Ross speak and will be having another zoom event soon.

I would want someone else to chime in on your nutrients, I’m learning it myself and I have a different focus with my tank that requires different nutrient levels. But to lower your phosphate you could also use gfo instead of water changes. It seems like your nitrates are in a good range and phosphate seems a little high. But like I said, I’d like someone else to chime in on that.

Consider making a tank journal. I use mine to post what I’m doing and get peer review from reefers with way more experience than me.

I became a supporting member. Thanks!!

Back