Cali Kid Corals

Hello reefers! New member here in Oakland!

Happy to finally join! I am a new salt water hobbyist who like many have been having some difficulty with my new tank. I have a 38 with only a star fish and several crabs and snails. It was a previously established tank I purchased but since then all my fish have died:( except for the aforementioned invertebrates. Had a HOB skimmer not happy with so now i am switching to a sump filtration. Just currently trying to purchases all bits and pieces to get that going. If anyone has any advice or tips please share. Extremely motivated and would love to learn from you guys. Thank you!

Welcome, neighbor! :)

IMO, running sumpless is a valid option, but it does depend on your plans for the tank. What types of animals are you looking to keep?

Coral reefer said:
Sounds like you gotta drill a hole...I hear glass holes.com has reasonably priced glass drill bits. Hang on the back overflows suck

I agree with Mike HOB overflow boxes are tricky. I used one for my first year with a reef with never a major accident, but I was more nervouse being out of the house with that siphon going than once I had direct flow.

I am currently off a sump and it is working for me. I change water once a week and keep regular tabs on water quality which stays low in the -NO3 range with macroalgae in the tank. Less energy used with one less pump going, and the system is quieter without falling water or the return pump.

I agree with others in that you don't need a sump or a skimmer, especially if you are on the weekly water change schedule. On the other hand, a skimmer allows for having more fish or maybe a bit less water changing. Let me know if you want help installing an overflow box.

Back