Neptune Aquatics

Help reopen Hawaii aquarium fishery and Koji Wada Pink Stereonephthya raffle!

SupraSaltyReefer

Supporting Member
Many of you probably saw this notice going around already. I think this is super important if we want the Hawaii ban to be partially lifted. Let’s do our part to help get Hawaii back open unless you guys like $200+ Yellow Tangs :(

All you have to do is copy & paste the info below and send the email. Deadline for email submission is 08/22/2024 midnight.

Who to email:
- The email address for is: blnr.testimony@hawaii.gov

- The subject line should read:
Agenda Item F1 support

- The body of the email should say:
I support opening the aquarium fishery and managing resources by science provided by DAR.

-You can elaborate as much as you like, but be
clear in your position in the first sentence.

***RAFFLE******RAFFLE******RAFFLE******RAFFLE******RAFFLE***
Hope this is okay with the BOD, to motivate members to send the email I’ll raffle off THREE 1”+ Unique Corals Japanese Koji Wada Pink Stereonephthya frags. They will not be apart of the DBTC. To enter the raffle post a screenshot of your email sent with date and timestamp. This is also crossposted on FB in the Bay Area Hella Salty Reefers group. One entry per person. No shipping. I’ll be able to meet for pick up at most LFS in the area on weekends. Raffle date will be Thursday 09/05/2024 at 8PM. Raffle will be done via Zoom or FB Live. If any LFS or vendor would like to help donate more items DM me!!!

IMG_4300.jpeg

IMG_4368.jpeg

IMG_4301.jpeg

IMG_4341.jpeg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Screenshot 2024-08-21 at 1.40.55 PM.png

It doesn't show a preview but I did put body text with the sentence you provided

I think this is pretty important to the hobby. The ban has not been that successful in actually increasing yellow tang populations according to some data I saw so I think this was the right email to send. I know the Hawaii ban included many more species but the yellow tang seems to be the most relevant to the hobby

It would be extremely interesting and possibly funny to see if yellow tang prices go back down (they won't) and whether wild caught ones will, at least briefly, cost more than Biota tangs (probably).

I'm curious what by-catch you are seeing that a fisherperson can make $50-$100+ on?
Literally the same fish on this list and more expensive specimens I see for sale as food in Chinatown fish markets or other local fish markets.

Literally the same fish on this list and more expensive specimens I see for sale as food in Chinatown fish markets or other local fish markets.

So we're talking large tang, etc. HI sold both wholesale, and distributor (sold to wholesalers) pre ban. 80% of what we bought as a wholesaler, was well under $50. You don't even want to know the price of yellow tangs when bought in bulk.

So we're talking large tang, etc. HI sold both wholesale, and distributor (sold to wholesalers) pre ban. 80% of what we bought as a wholesaler, was well under $50. You don't even want to know the price of yellow tangs when bought in bulk.
Ok sure but probably more than the $1 they're getting selling a naso to a fish market or just eating it off the boat. Plus the fish doesn't die (as often).

Back