Cali Kid Corals

Hey from Oakland!

Hey Reefers! I recently acquired a very large 100 gallon corner tank. After visiting some stores to figure out what to put into it I feel the need for salt--hyper-tension runs in my family :D. I've always been an artist-scientist by nature anyway so this seems like the obvious choice. I'm excited! And I really like the philosophy behind the BAR. So once again I'm glad that I moved to the Bay Area :p.

A couple things. My tank was used and has some scratches in it. It's acrylic so I believe that I can take these scratches out. Does anyone in the area have the tools to do this? I believe that this would include a belt sander, different grain sand paper (up to 2000!), and an electric buffer with plastics buffing solution. Or, does anyone know where I could acquire these things if no one has them to lend? I live in North Oakland.

Also, I'd love to read a couple books to get me going. I was thinking the second edition of The Conscientious Marine Aquarist, the Marine Aquarium Handbook: Beginner to Breeder (2009 version), and any other up-to-date books that anyone might suggest. Would anyone lend these to an overly patient yet excited noob ;)? Thanks!!

Welcome! I don't have any of those tools or books, but if you need any help setting it all up or doing plbing or anything I am willing to lend a hand

Thanks! I checked out your home 120 and it looks gorgeous. And you obviously have some plumbing experience (that flat 240 is craaazy). I'll keep you in mind when I get there. Still trying to make it look purrty while empty! :)

Another Oakland BAR member! Welcome!

I found John Tullock's Natural Reef Aquariums to be quite useful, although it's from 2001 the basic concepts haven't changed (just the equipment). Message me if you're interested.

Thanks! I have to say I'm pretty tech savvy but I can't for the life of me figure out how to message you. I'd love to read your suggested book though. Definitely also trying to find more up-to-date books for the equipment discussions but also just wanna read anything I can right now.

Oops, I forget that the private messages are a members-only feature. Give me a minute to figure out an alternative means of getting in touch.

Back