Kessil

Hi New Sucker from East Bay

Hi all been working from home after this Corvid thing and want to jump into this reef coral fish hobby. Will start slow so I'm going to start off with a Red Sea Peninsula. Good size I think and if I become a good reefer and can see growth will expand.
Looking to Aquascape the tank with dry rock ( The red looking ones in the LFS) and have a template and have gone hunting for rock with no luck but will find something soon. The small space of the tank should make it easier to do but not for me.

So I guess once I get my rock like I want will buy the tank and sand and fill her up and add my bacteria and come back asking for all your help. I hope I am able to have a flourishing tank and with your help pass on my knowledge to the next person.

Sounds like a good plan. Welcome. Once you’re ready consider becoming a supporting member. Has lots of benefits.
Where are you located? I have a bunch of dry rock structures in sf if you want to check it out

Welcome! Red Sea tanks are great. If I did it over again I’d get some water from healthy established tanks to get all the microbial diversity, rather than only add bacteria in a bottle. Live rock is overrated.

Welcome! What is your current time line on getting the tank up and running and what size tank? If you're close to Castro Valley I have some seeded live rock and can always give you some water from my tanks to help get you started. Macro rock is usually easier to customize a scape if you have something specific in mind. The reef rock (purple rocks) are usually bigger pieces and are harder to make something from a pre-designed vision. The carib sea and other purple dry rocks are usually best to just buy either a box or hand pick random ones you like and then tape out the footprint of your tank and start stacking and filling the area and playing with them. 2 part epoxies are a bit tricky to work with but hold rock well. The other method is super glue gel and sand mixed with baking soda for a pretty quick set time (I have not tried this method yet)

Welcome! Red Sea tanks are great. If I did it over again I’d get some water from healthy established tanks to get all the microbial diversity, rather than only add bacteria in a bottle. Live rock is overrated.
Thanks. Yes, my plan is to get all my water from my LFS. I guess my first Noob question is will the water I buy from the LFS have bacteria already
I like the nyos reef cement
I guess they are called nyos and yes I think that's my choice

As you see, we are $upporting members have replied to your questions. We are a dedicated bunch and the best investment you can make in you reefing journey. How dedicated are you? Most new reefers are out within the first year. You support us, we support you. This ain’t the hobby for the frugal.

Welcome! What is your current time line on getting the tank up and running and what size tank? If you're close to Castro Valley I have some seeded live rock and can always give you some water from my tanks to help get you started. Macro rock is usually easier to customize a scape if you have something specific in mind. The reef rock (purple rocks) are usually bigger pieces and are harder to make something from a pre-designed vision. The carib sea and other purple dry rocks are usually best to just buy either a box or hand pick random ones you like and then tape out the footprint of your tank and start stacking and filling the area and playing with them. 2 part epoxies are a bit tricky to work with but hold rock well. The other method is super glue gel and sand mixed with baking soda for a pretty quick set time (I have not tried this method yet)
Thank you. I'm actually in Hayward next door to you. I'm starting slow and small and the wife has approved the Red Sea Nano Peninsula ( 26 gallon). I made my footprint stencil from carboard of my tank and in my trunk and ready to dive figure it out. I don't have a specific timeline but I want to get going:) I think I need to get my wife (artist) into getting our scape going and since its a small tank seems harder. I looked at the Marco rock and agree much easier to put together and thank you for the water offer.

As you see, we are $upporting members have replied to your questions. We are a dedicated bunch and the best investment you can make in you reefing journey. How dedicated are you? Most new reefers are out within the first year. You support us, we support you. This ain’t the hobby for the frugal.
Ok, where do I send the check? but now you scare me with the 1 year comment.

So exciting and I don't even have a tank yet. I'm building my equipment and was wondering what test kits I should buy. I think I like Hanna since its my daughters name
Can you all provide input on what test kits I should start with. I found a someone selling the following all new:
New Hanna Checkers: HI-758 - HI772 - HI774 - HI781 - HI782
New Reagent: HI758-26 - HI774-25 - HI781-25 - HI782-25
Reagent expirations are 2025 Phos ULR and Nitrate HR and 2027 on Nitrate LR. Calcium Reagent expires 2024
$320
Thx

Back