Our mission

Hi there!

Are you feeding the LPS corals? I feed my corals with oyester feast and reef roid alternatively,
You can get some coralline encrusted rocks from some one else's tank and scrape them off in your tank, just to seed the water

Hmm, something is off if you're dosing that much and do not have growth or coralline algae on a tank that's 2 years old. I'm sure you've encountered coralline algae along the way within these last couple of years either as seedings from frags, live rock, or something along those lines. I've seen an old tank with zero coralline growth that was over 2+ years old, but that tank also used tapwater.

Have you had your tests verified to make sure that they're not off? From what I gathered from reading the post your tank is somewhere in the 50 gallon range or so which is inline with my 47G. For reference, I dose 43mL of alk and 30mL of calcium on a daily basis. Lots of coralline algae and lps and sps growth with those numbers.

Old pic, but for reference. That pic was taken in January of this year and that red blasto started out as 1 polyp to what you see there, a colony (took ~5 months). The rainbow acan that you see in the left hand corner there is now covered with adult polyps on the outer edges and that's from about 5 months of growth.
red_blastos_with_rainbow_acan_011617.jpg

What is you mg level? Any signs of precipitation?

That much dosing should point to some pretty strong growth.

Something is definitely off if those are your numbers and you are not seeing growth.

Pictures of what you feel are problem corals please. FTS and some close ups of the problem areas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are something I think is precipitation - but have now idea if it's it or not. Sand is also clamped... I tested Mg but honestly can't get good readings from my RedSea kit. I think it was 1300 but I don't trust redsea kit - last time I skipped "sweet spot" and it shows me something bogus like 1700.

I'm dosing 55 ml Ca and 40 ml alk with auto doser - should be fine imho

That is a sh=t load of dosing in a 35 gallon mixes reef tank. If the corals are using that much every week you should be seeing growth.
There are something I think is precipitation - but have now idea if it's it or not. Sand is also clamped... I tested Mg but honestly can't get good readings from my RedSea kit. I think it was 1300 but I don't trust redsea kit - last time I skipped "sweet spot" and it shows me something bogus like 1700.

I'll bring a mag kit.

If your sand is clumping up, it Alk/Ca is precipitating out. That is why you are dosing the amount that you are.

What salt are you using? With the amount of water change you are doing, mg should be replenished pretty well.

What kind of test kit? Expiry date?

Salt is Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, kit is Red Sea Reef Foundation Pro. For Mg expiration is 09/17 for Alk 9/18, Ca is 12/18. Don't like it to be honest but it's what I have.

The red Sea mg kit is fine. You have to follow the instructions strictly. I've always had consistent results with it. Testing it against a standard solution also yielded similar results.

Those numbers look ok. If the mg numbers are correct, you shouldn't be getting precipitation. Are you running a lot of gfo?

No. Bruce was so kind to look at my tank and he suspects light and flow... I increased flow but so far sps corals dying fast, lps not happy. However, I reduced alc to 9 and looks like polyp extension improved. Will do more research...

How are you measuring salinity? You said it's 1.026. That's already on the high end and if your measurement isn't very accurate it could be too high.

Have you taken Scuzy's advice and checked for cloramine? Perhaps your r/o is not removing it? If it were my tank, to curb the death, I would begin to change out the water using store bought salt water. Maybe 5-10 gallons every 2-3 days. And I would check the r/o discharge to see if cloramine is present. What type of r/o unit/filters are you using? Myself, I would stop dosing for a bit til I got a bunch of water changes done. If your corals are dying, your current dosing is useless. Get clean water!!! Just my 2 cents.
Mark

Test for total chlorine. If it shows up you have chloramine. Most rodi can't remove it unless you have a chloramine block. Even if you do it night break through. Reason I have 3 blocks cause contact time is what removes chloramine.

Back