Reef nutrition

High Alkalinity

GreshamH said:
patchin said:
I think we need to discuss this at the meeting. my understanding is that the two components should be dosed in equal amounts.

It is in theory but I've never been able to dose equal amounts. I have to dose more ALK then CA.

Same here, I believe the culprit to be fish pee acidifying the water breaking down the carbonate.

stupid lush. I told him to knock off hitting the bottle!!!

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:
patchin said:
I think we need to discuss this at the meeting. my understanding is that the two components should be dosed in equal amounts.

It is in theory but I've never been able to dose equal amounts. I have to dose more ALK then CA.

Same here, I believe the culprit to be fish pee acidifying the water breaking down the carbonate.

In general, alk tests have better resolution than Ca tests. And with Ca being in far excess relative to alk in seawater, the percent change in Ca can be harder to see or determine compared to alk. Those two factors combined can make it seem like more alk than Ca is needed when dosing 2 part.

Could be other factors at play also, but I would lean toward the precision of test results.

iani said:
Can't you just dose calcium to drop your kH? If you dose calcium, the cabonate (kH) should percipitate out with the calcium in the form of calcium carbonate.

The abiotic precipitation would be if you caused a deliberate snow storm. But alk, Ca, and Mg tend to get wacky after that, and take a while to get back in balance.

Mr. Ugly said:
tuberider said:
GreshamH said:
patchin said:

In general, alk tests have better resolution than Ca tests. And with Ca being in far excess relative to alk in seawater, the percent change in Ca can be harder to see or determine compared to alk. Those two factors combined can make it seem like more alk than Ca is needed when dosing 2 part.

Could be other factors at play also, but I would lean toward the precision of test results.

I use your methodology so unless it's flawed.....

FWIW numerous times I triple checked and was nearly dead on every time.

well guys, as per suggestions, after the meeting yesterday I did a 5 g water change and another 5 g this afternnoon and I tested the water around6:00 PM and the results read 12 dkh. I will do another 5 g tomorrow night. But I want to thanks all of you for your input on the subject and for giving me a better understanding of why alk could get too high.

tuberider said:
GreshamH said:
patchin said:

Using excessive GFO could also be the culprit.

Back