Cali Kid Corals

How important is an "algae free" tank

Always see tanks free of any algae on all of the instagram tanks, but I've never been able to maintain a 100% algae free tank for very long.

I was on a pretty good streak but have noticed some small bunches of algae popping up, despite keeping nutrients relatively low (5-10ppm nitrates and .03-.09 phos)

Is there a secret I'm missing, or is having some algae the more natural/norm

Does your body look like the people you see on Instagram?
Right when you wake up in the morning even?
IMO the only reason having an “algae free” tank would matter is if you or your SO really can’t stand it if there’s any unsightly algae. It had very little to do with the ability of said tank to keep and grow happy healthy animals.

The secret to me is a proper clean up crew. I.e. yellow tang and snails.

I don’t know if I’ve got the green thumb or whatever, but I’ve never had algae issues that were not controllable or unsightly with any of my tanks.

Do I have some algae here and there yes, but over growing? No.

Yea I'm in the same boat as you. It's not overgrowing. For the longest time I had some in teh back of my AIO chamber and I was able to just pull it out.I just noticed some small patches growing in the display part recently...Doubt my wife would even notice but since I inspect every inch of my tank daily, it gets to me lol

Yea I'm in the same boat as you. It's not overgrowing. For the longest time I had some in teh back of my AIO chamber and I was able to just pull it out.I just noticed some small patches growing in the display part recently...Doubt my wife would even notice but since I inspect every inch of my tank daily, it gets to me lol
What kind(s) of algae are we talking about?

FYI, no one is going to post a picture of a tank that they feel is "ugly" in most cases. ESPECIALLY in Instagram, they're going to go all out to get that "perfect vanity shot", I mean hell that's why most of us post stuff about our tanks anyways :D

2ba8220ecd1d712e94030bf0a0692e5a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have any tangs or urchins? The best for that ime are going to be tomini or kole or tuxedo urchins
I've got a tuxedo urchin on order...Most of my frags are glued down, however, the top rock is a little loose..it shouldnt be able to knock that down right? Last thing I need is my acro rock table to come tumbling down

I’ve not had any issues with them moving rocks, but I suppose anything Is possible. I can’t remember if your tank was glass or acrylic? Some people avoid urchins with acrylic since they could scratch.

Back