got ethical husbandry?

How much clearance should I have for my sump?

Lyn

We are trying to plan out a DIY stand for a 75 gallon (48.5" x 18.5" x 21" ) The sump we are planning to use is a 55 gal acrylic. ( 48" x 13" x 20" I would like the stand to be low enough so I can work in the tank without having to climb too high.

How much clearance should I have above the sump to work on equipment easily?

umm.. enough to remove your largest piece of equipment :p
It all comes down to being able to remove the skimmer, change the collection cup (skimmer height + removal clearance height), and access to your return pump/skimmer pump).

high enough so you can take out the skimmer without cutting it into 2 pieces. If you aren't cutting down the sump, I would go for at least 30"H inside.

Yeah, I figured so Tony. Guess I'll have to stick stuff in it and see how much space I need on top. Do you think 1 foot is good enough? Will that accomodate most equipment on a med. tank?

tuberider said:
With acrylic I'd be more concerned with the openings on the top of the sump.

Do you mean, because the opening is so small? It is an old Truvue, and the rim is really thick.

Elite said:
high enough so you can take out the skimmer without cutting it into 2 pieces. If you aren't cutting down the sump, I would go for at least 30"H inside.

If I did cut the sump down, what is the minimum height I should make it? I was thinking of only using the sump for an additional 25 gallons, would that be good enough?

Lyn said:
tuberider said:
With acrylic I'd be more concerned with the openings on the top of the sump.

Do you mean, because the opening is so small? It is an old Truvue, and the rim is really thick.

Yep that's what I mean, as long as you are comfortable and have thought it out you're fine, but after plumbing a return, PO4 reactor, skimmer and misc wiring you can find yourself with a difficult to service sump.

I think 16"-18" is good enough. Depending on how many baffles you're going to use, the tank should be ok without the brace (if there are enough baffles :) ). If the tank bow too much, add a smaller brace (3"-4" should be good). Like Jeremy said the small open top would be a PIA to service the sump.

I should say that it's not fun to glue new acrylic to an old tank. Cut the pieces a bit bigger and trim it down if needed. Old tank usually bow in the middle. It's not fun to glue those but it's doable.

Thanks Elite, Jeremy, and Gomer. I might have to rethink this. I agree that there just might not be enough space from the top, the way it is built. Either, I will have to cut it down, or use a different tank.

I have a 30 gal. that I could use, but I 've used it for a quarantine with meds, including copper. Do you think the use of copper in this tank eliminates it from being a sump candidate for SPSs and LPSs?

Do you think a 40G breeder will fit? It's glass though. I might have to tear down the turtle tank before I move to the new house. There is no space for it there. I have to move the turtles first though.

They are to small to eat so I have to find a new place for them :bigsmile: .. It's 36"Lx18"Wx16"H. If you make your stand a bit wider, you can put it inside.

30" under the stand would be ideal considering some skimmers are ~24" tall
I made my stand 36" tall to allow for any future (very distant future) skimmer upgrades
I made a stand for a lady near my home that was 32" over all and compared to my stand, now I prefer the shorter one; has plenty of room under for basically anything.

I made my stand for my 240 gallon it is 4 feet tall. it lives in the kitchen and I don't like bending down to look into it so that is why it is so tall. tank, stand, and canopy are at a total height of 8 feet. getting rid of the canopy as of next week. changing my lights to ati powermodules that i want to hang from ceiling. for me since i don't pay ridiculous prices for stands that are made with cheap materials I make my stands depending on where it will be located and if you will be sitting down to look into it or if you will be standing to look into it. thats just my opinion.

Back