got ethical husbandry?

How to gain traffic?

My idea is to see if the club could sponsor a tank at the Academy of Science. Have one of the smaller displays with corals from DBTC or frags donated from members with a little plaque saying “sponsored by BAR” and with a url or QR that directs people to the site. It seems like the club or someone in the club has a relationship with Cal Academy as evidenced with the behind the scenes tour that’s coming up in July.
We’ve asked this exact thing a couple times over the years, and they said no

I remember in the early 2000’s bar had an aquarium that was at someone’s house like this. Same idea. Grow-out. Share type deal. It was all bad with pest that people had. But back then people argued a lot. People would take more than donating.

Being candid, there's been multiple times I've almost cancelled my BAR membership because of all the neg'ing that goes on in this forum. Ragging on people for giving things away. Ragging on people for trying to find ways to draw people in. Ragging on people for having low end, fast growing corals; especially if they try and give them away. Effectively a bunch of "if you're not spending $X thousands of dollars on everything" you're not good enough and shouldn't be allowed in the hobby or around here.

Not welcoming. Not a good vibe to be around.

Being candid, there's been multiple times I've almost cancelled my BAR membership because of all the neg'ing that goes on in this forum. Ragging on people for giving things away. Ragging on people for trying to find ways to draw people in. Ragging on people for having low end, fast growing corals; especially if they try and give them away. Effectively a bunch of "if you're not spending $X thousands of dollars on everything" you're not good enough and shouldn't be allowed in the hobby or around here.

Agreed. I love this hobby and this is an amazing club, but there’s definitely negativity. Thankfully up to this point, the good has outweighed the bad but I have definitely questioned myself a couple times. When my membership expired not to long ago I really held off and thought about whether or not I wanted to renew. I ended up renewing because I have seen a lot of the good that comes from this club but to people that are just joining or lurking as Guests, I can definitely understand why they don’t jump to be supporting members. Anytime I sell/give away anything outside of this club, I bring up BAR to spread the word. It’s unfortunate the times I get a sour reaction. I think what @popper is doing is a generous and cool thing. It’s his coral and what he chooses to do with it, is up to him. I also think people are jumping to conclusions on the context of his conversation with these people. I’m sure it’s no so much of “join BAR and we’ll give you free coral” like people are assuming… I would agree that probably wont attract the kind of people that believe in the ethos. At the end of the day, I hope people wanting to join or are new members see what this club is really about and not the negativity.

Agreed. I love this hobby and this is an amazing club, but there’s definitely negativity. Thankfully up to this point, the good has outweighed the bad but I have definitely questioned myself a couple times. When my membership expired not to long ago I really held off and thought about whether or not I wanted to renew. I ended up renewing because I have seen a lot of the good that comes from this club but to people that are just joining or lurking as Guests, I can definitely understand why they don’t jump to be supporting members. Anytime I sell/give away anything outside of this club, I bring up BAR to spread the word. It’s unfortunate the times I get a sour reaction. I think what @popper is doing is a generous and cool thing. It’s his coral and what he chooses to do with it, is up to him. I also think people are jumping to conclusions on the context of his conversation with these people. I’m sure it’s no so much of “join BAR and we’ll give you free coral” like people are assuming… I would agree that probably wont attract the kind of people that believe in the ethos. At the end of the day, I hope people wanting to join or are new members see what this club is really about and not the negativity.
I still hope the issue is not the club or its people, but more the way things come across when written down on social media or forums such as ours. Every in person interaction I had so far with members of this club has been very positive and I never regretted joining or staying on for that reason.

However, casually written opinions are at high risk of coming across divisive if not explained sufficiently or chosing words more carefully, considering how this might be read by others. I have experienced this a few times here too and probably also contributed to this issue (and I promise to to do better).

The mentioned concern of ragging on people with low end corals is something I have not observed in my short time here but on social media. There is a sense of competitivness though on growing certain SPS which I cannot (yet) relate to, but I understand if folks invested on their lights etc, that they wanted to see return. And I can see there is a sense of accomplisment from growing something which is hard to grow in general, but this should not be at the cost of putting down someone growing easier stuff too and feeling happy about this.

I still hope the issue is not the club or its people, but more the way things come across when written down on social media or forums such as ours. Every in person interaction I had so far with members of this club has been very positive and I never regretted joining or staying on for that reason.

However, casually written opinions are at high risk of coming across divisive if not explained sufficiently or chosing words more carefully, considering how this might be read by others. I have experienced this a few times here too and probably also contributed to this issue (and I promise to to do better).

The mentioned concern of ragging on people with low end corals is something I have not observed in my short time here but on social media. There is a sense of competitivness though on growing certain SPS which I cannot (yet) relate to, but I understand if folks invested on their lights etc, that they wanted to see return. And I can see there is a sense of accomplisment from growing something which is hard to grow in general, but this should not be at the cost of putting down someone growing easier stuff too and feeling happy about this.

As someone who just joined, it's been a fun group with definite negatives and positives.

Unfortunately, trying to predict who is going to be neg'ing on the forums and trying to ignore them isn't really fine long-term.
Some people seem to have a hard time being nice, contrary to any belief that tone or lack thereof may be playing a role. Whether it translates "well" online or not, we're all still talking to people in our community and we should act like it.

This attitude from certain longstanding members gives me a reasonable aversion to wanting to participate in events or volunteer.

EDIT
It's worth noting, I have had plenty of amazing and positive interactions with many reefers here. It's also worth pointing out there's a bit of an issue.

This attitude from certain longstanding members gives me a reasonable aversion to wanting to participate in events or volunteer.

EDIT
It's worth noting, I have had plenty of amazing and positive interactions with many reefers here. It's also worth pointing out there's a bit of an issue.
The people who show up to events are always really nice and welcoming. And most of the people who neg online likely are also really nice in person but doing it from a place of caring about the animals we keep.

I have mostly found BAR to be a very warm and welcoming place in the two years I’ve been here.

Especially compared to other reef forums or even just the internet in general.

Expressing a difference of opinion is OK to do. We don’t all have to agree on everything. Where the line gets crossed is with personal attacks or put downs or disrespect - but I just haven’t seen a ton of that myself. Maybe a couple grouchy old reefers here and there…

BAR will never be perfect. But it is awesome. And it can be better. The only way it changes at all in any way is if we, the members, choose to make the changes we want to see.
It’s up to all of us to act the way we see fit and treat others the way we would like to be treated.
It’s good to have these discussions occasionally, but also important to remember that for the most part the club is in good shape, much better than it’s been for most of the nearly 15 years I’ve been here.
It can always be better, but only if we make it so. Let’s put our actions where our typing fingers are and be a bunch of fonzis (cool)

We’ve asked this exact thing a couple times over the years, and they said no
Just wondering if there's a "liability/marketing" or something about that issue.
When the Cal Academy was remodeled, the temporary location downtown (Howard St?) had a good size placard in place mentioning BAR and its mission statement I believe.

The people who show up to events are always really nice and welcoming. And the people who neg online likely are also really nice in person.
I had such an amazing time at my first members only swap! I only wish everyone could carry the same energy onto the forums as well.
It would make BAR feel much more welcoming.

It's worth noting that "Really nice in person" can also be subjective, and shouldn't be a pass to be a jerk online.

EDIT
As someone who has passively been in the hobby for over a decade, I can confidently say I'm still learning many things as I go, and I would still never put others down for learning.

Last edited:
Just wondering if there's a "liability/marketing" or something about that issue.
When the Cal Academy was remodeled, the temporary location downtown (Howard St?) had a good size placard in place mentioning BAR and its mission statement I believe.
In the Softy donation thread, that was brought up, and APON posted it was just a print out.

We should get Prime Reefing on board too. Get him a banner to expand to southbay.
I absolutely agree that as a club, we should encourage Edgar to build his reputation and trust with BAR. He did just open but has a lot of experience as a hobbyist. He took the gamble to open a shop because he's passionate. I commend him for that. I was fortunate enough to help him during his grand opening. It was a fun day!

He wants to be more connected with BAR, but he also understands it will take a while to build that relationship before he could be associated with us as a partner LFS. He also isn't exactly in the Bay Area I suppose, so I'm not sure how that would work or if he'd even be allowed to be associated with BAR. I would hope so, but we'll see how that plays out. I already know he wants to give BAR members a discount. And he's not even asking for anything in return. That's the kind of person he is.

I absolutely agree that as a club, we should encourage Edgar to build his reputation and trust with BAR. He did just open but has a lot of experience as a hobbyist. He took the gamble to open a shop because he's passionate. I commend him for that. I was fortunate enough to help him during his grand opening. It was fun day!

He wants to be more connected with BAR, but he also understands it will take a while to build that relationship before he could be associated with us a partner LFS. He also isn't exactly in the Bay Area I suppose, so I'm not sure how that would work or if he'd even be allowed to be associated with BAR. I would hope so, but we'll see how that plays out. I already know he wants to give BAR members a discount. And he's not even asking for anything in return. That's the kind of person he is.

That's great to hear!!! SC County really needs a SW LFS.

My point may have been misunderstood…
Your corals are yours to do as you please
I am trying to avoid people coming to the club with solely for free stuff…living or non living

We tend to be a generous group
I want to avoid any abuse
And if anyone here sees any sort of abuse such as obvious reselling of DBTC items that haven't been closed, selling of PIF items elsewhere, or anything that breaks club rules/ethics (remember you as a member are expected to follow these even outside of the website). Please contact a BOD member with screenshots, links, and/or your concerns.

Otherwise if someone is new, we try to guide them to make better decisions for their animals. Honestly, growing up in the Reef Central days, the forums of the 90s/00s, Facebook, and Twitter, BAR now is incredibly open and friendly. Open debate and questioning the status quo with new data is how we improve. If you have trouble with dealing with that level of discussion, just unwatch the thread (top of the screen) and don't interact. Or report a post if it violates our code of conduct.

We used to run bioballs in a wet dry chamber with zero power heads in our tanks just 30 years ago. Many corals were "impossible to keep" 20 years ago. LEDs were "useless" just 15 years ago. "Everyone" knew that dry rock only was the best way to start a tank 5 years ago. Things change and we learn, otherwise the animals suffer and new hobbyists leave the hobby prematurely.

My point may have been misunderstood…
Your corals are yours to do as you please
I am trying to avoid people coming to the club with solely for free stuff…living or non living

We tend to be a generous group
I want to avoid any abuse
:thumbs-up:

Otherwise if someone is new, we try to guide them to make better decisions for their animals. Honestly, growing up in the Reef Central days, the forums of the 90s/00s, Facebook, and Twitter, BAR now is incredibly open and friendly. Open debate and questioning the status quo with new data is how we improve. If you have trouble with dealing with that level of discussion, just unwatch the thread (top of the screen) and don't interact. Or report a post if it violates our code of conduct.
Agreed, the technology and information we have today is rapidly changing with our understanding of how best to keep an entire ecosystem in an isolated cube. I don't think anybody has an issue with that.

Back