got ethical husbandry?

How to mount Radion to 8020?

wazzupmac

Supporting Member
I’m gonna switch my lights from kessil a500x to radion xr30s. One of my lights stopped working and by the time I figure something out with Kessil it seems easier to get xr30s and go in a different direction.

The tank is 72” long and I have a 3015 series crossbar but not sure how to mount the radions - I might go over board and put 4 over the tank (I would rotate them to have them going lengthwise to maximize spread from back to front).

I haven’t seen or read anything that seems straight-forward and maybe I’m dense. It looks like I can DIY by drilling through the RMS slide and attach with a T-nut. But that seems flimsy with an expensive light.

Thoughts? Anyone do it differently or seen it done differently?

I kinda just have my xr15 just hanging on it.

20240823_201245.jpg

I use fishing line to hang my lights from my cross bar.

There's probably a 3d printable adapter out there that could be used.

I’ve drilled through one to mount it on an aluminum C-Channel bar, but it’s probably cleaner to buy the hanging kit and use the part that slides into the rail and find the right size screw/tnut.

IMG_3110.jpeg

I used speed nuts captured inside the slot, you can buy them at ace for like a nickel. Then screw the bracket to them, then attach the bracket to the light.

This was for a360x but should work for xr30 "slide mount" I think

Attachments

• 01782_a_speednutflat2_3.jpg
    01782_a_speednutflat2_3.jpg
    6.1 KB · Views: 24
Not sure if someone on here can find the STL to print it, but they are available out there.

Screenshot_20240823-204944_Chrome.jpg

1000004224.jpg

It's screwed from the bottom into the nut inside the 80/20 then the bracket attached to the light.

Worst case you could make a bracket from a piece of aluminum trim with 3 drill holes and space it off the light with rubber grommets. If you paint it black it would look fine.

It looks like I can DIY by drilling through the RMS slide and attach with a T-nut. But that seems flimsy with an expensive light.

Thoughts? Anyone do it differently or seen it done differently?
I think this is your best solution that will yield the cleanest look...either with the T-nut or what Marcus H mention in his post. I used T-nuts to attach my AI"s and my XR15. The slide on the XR15 seems pretty solid but I can't speak on the XR30 as I don't own one. I believe as long as the wires are securely attached to the extrusion and not constantly tugging on the light I think you'll be ok. There's hardware to securely mount the wires in place. I'll try to get you better pics of that if you want.

Attachments

• LightRack2.jpeg
    LightRack2.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2637.jpg
    IMG_2637.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_2561.jpg
    IMG_2561.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2560.jpg
    IMG_2560.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 26
I think this is your best solution that will yield the cleanest look...either with the T-nut or what Marcus H mention in his post. I used T-nuts to attach my AI"s and my XR15. The slide on the XR15 seems pretty solid but I can't speak on the XR30 as I don't own one. I believe as long as the wires are securely attached to the extrusion and not constantly tugging on the light I think you'll be ok. There's hardware to securely mount the wires in place. I'll try to get you better pics of that if you want.
To my sensibilities, these are clean installs. I don't like hanging unless you do it from the ceiling.

I routed wires inside the 80/20 where I could then used short pieces of rubber "cover" to hold in place.

Ended up drilling hole through the brackets and attaching with T-Nut. Lowered the bar from 22” to about 12”. The lights are now 9.5” or so above the water.

XR30 Gen 5 Pros (4)

Will work on checking out par and spacing over the next week or 2. Thx for all the suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_4876.jpeg
    IMG_4876.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4875.jpeg
    IMG_4875.jpeg
    98.9 KB · Views: 29
Back