Jestersix

How to remove white residue on glass tank

I have a white-ish residue on my inside glass after removing a wave pump. The residue is inside the tank. I try scotch, magic eraser, even tried to use a blade, but it doesn't want to come off. Any suggestion on what I can use to buff out the residue? The tank is filled. I can drained the tank low enough for a few minutes to buff if needed.

this has worked for me before...get a square of tp and soak it in vinegar. The rough calcium buildup + wet tp will allow it to stick while the vinegar dissolves the buildup.

I've had success with a razor blade you just have to be careful not to scratch the glass (hold it flat against the glass) and put a lot of elbow grease into it.

Trust me, I tried everything mentioned above, I gave up and upgraded my tank. I even soaked the glass in vinegar or a week without any luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

is the white residue at the water line or below the waterline? Reread your post. sounds like below. I wonder if residue or somehow the action of the wave pump could have caused tiny scratches? I have never seen this below a water line on my tanks.

It's also possible that it is etched. A gazillion years ago, I had a glass tank that ended up getting etched, but it definitely looked like it was just hard calcium stains.

The residue is below the water line. It's a very strange mark. Here's a picture of it, it's very hard to get a good picture. This picture is taken from the front of the tank, the residue is on the left pane. You can see a whitish ring on the inside of the tank.

Attachments

• PXL_20201201_234655094.jpg
    PXL_20201201_234655094.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 136
  • PXL_20201201_234754570.jpg
    PXL_20201201_234754570.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 162
I think it's very likely it's hard water stain then, meaning the vinegar tp thing will work well. If you're using 30% strength vinegar then 2-3 min of contact will be plenty, you can even hold the tp in place yourself if you can't get it to stick. paper towels work too

Back