Reef nutrition

How to Run a Contest

glee

I want to give you all full disclosure on how I have been running the last couple of contests. This will give you an idea of how to set one up in the future or make changes to what this is.

We have a lot of generous members here with really nice corals. The Pink Boobie Chalice and the Alveopora were sort of donated by members. The people who donated the corals received a small payment of around $10/frag back for the coral to cover their costs. The rest of the proceeds raised from the contest goes toward the contest prizes and as a donation to BAR. In some cases, there is no BAR donation and all additional proceeds raised goes directly to the prizes (as in the case of the Alveopora because there are only 7 frags).

I use previous contests as a template for the next coral contest.

The hardest part of getting a contest going, in my opinion, is sourcing a coral popular enough that people want to participate and finding a donor willing to donate. So, if you have a colony of something that you are thinking about selling, consider fragging it up, receive a small payment per frag, and donate the coral to run a contest. It's fun for many people and this community gets to learn from our successes and/or failures. If you have a coral that you want to consider for contest, feel free to PM me to work out the details. I would like to run contests throughout the year; it's even better if these contests can coincide with frag swaps or other BAR events throughout the year.

It's really important that people who sign up for the contest understands the rules and really give their best effort on a monthly basis to post a picture. After all, this is what our club is for...grow corals and learn from each other.

Back