High Tide Aquatics

Husbandry and Bacterial Infections

How was BJD introduced to my tank?

• It was introduced from a stressed out coral that had the infection.

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Removed UV sterilizer may have caused an event

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Drying Filter Socks outside - maybe have attracted bad chemicals.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other:? please explain

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • It was introduced by Wild Euphyllia

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

fishy408

Supporting Member
Hi All, I recently had BJD in my tank and wondering where the heck it came from. I had a few changes in my tank that maybe have caused it. I created a quick poll to see what others thought.

Were you able to get the BJD all cleared up?
I think so! /crossing fingers, haven't had another coral show signs of BJD since day 2 or 3 of the in tank Cipro treatment. The torches that were affected and eventually died were the closest in proximity to the first affected torch.

I can't say that BJD has cleared up since I really don't know how long it can stay in the tank.

I would like to add that I am only on Day 6 of the treatment which is supposedly the final day. Other have done it for longer.

BJD is not very visible and once you notice the brown jelly, it may already be too late.

Some signs of BJD that I have noticed in order.
  • first sign: Opening and closing that is unusual behavior for the specific torch.
  • second sign: flattening of tentacles.
  • Third Sign: Small Tips of the tentacles falls off. Only a few.
  • Fourth sign - Head is closed up - brown jelly is visible only with close inspection.
  • Fifth sign - receding head

Curious on drying socks outside.. Bad chemicals like poisonous plant material or pollen blowing in the air? Ive dried socks/ mesh outside for years so it doesn’t pic up any fabric softer or detergent residue from the dryer..

Oxolinic acid is supposed to kill gram negative bacteria, and supposedly multiple of the BJD bacteria are vulnerable

Given the prevalence of BJD you would think there would be more people selling this stuff

I’m wondering if there is a cheap way to buy it in bulk, and giveaway in the club. At a dollar a gram while it’s not expensive it definitely isn’t cheap if everyone wants some

Curious on drying socks outside.. Bad chemicals like poisonous plant material or pollen blowing in the air? Ive dried socks/ mesh outside for years so it doesn’t pic up any fabric softer or detergent residue from the dryer..
A possibility and one of the few things I changed recently. I always dried my filter socks in the garage but smell was not the best.

Oxolinic acid is supposed to kill gram negative bacteria, and supposedly multiple of the BJD bacteria are vulnerable

Given the prevalence of BJD you would think there would be more people selling this stuff

I’m wondering if there is a cheap way to buy it in bulk, and giveaway in the club. At a dollar a gram while it’s not expensive it definitely isn’t cheap if everyone wants some
I will probably preorder this instead of Cipro next time, but when BJD hits there really wasn't any time to react. BJD spread fast, I was lucky enough that a fellow reefer had Cipro handy and was willing to share. If not, I would think all the torches may have not survived.

Years ago, when I was but a noob (still am lol) I bought a (what I believe to be a wild (indo?) elegance) and my torch got bjd. I think there was an aussie vs (indo?) debate at the time. Both perished. It sucked but I learned my lesson. Sucks to hear that this is still going around

If you are actually dealing with a bacterial infection, it could be from anything wet. Don’t think it’s limited to be passed by other euphyllia only. Any other coral is a potential a source. Fish and inverts as well, though it may not be as likely.

Last edited:
I will probably preorder this instead of Cipro next time, but when BJD hits there really wasn't any time to react. BJD spread fast, I was lucky enough that a fellow reefer had Cipro handy and was willing to share. If not, I would think all the torches may have not survived.
I don’t blame you for trying to save your livestock the fastest way possible. Just mentioning it as a something I’ve heard is a good option, and was wondering aloud about making it more available

Back