License to krill

I have Dinoflagellates. Please help!

jepoy

Supporting Member
Judging by your photos, it looks very much like the strain of dino that i've been battling for about a year now. Just going by my experience, thats most likely dino if:
1. It goes away or decrease when the lights are off but comes back when lights go on.
2. When it gets really bad on your sand, it also goes on your rocks.
3. Corals are irritated.
4. Some of your CUC dies.
5. It comes back even after siphoning

Its a very annoying strain. Ive done a treatment very similar to that of BRS.. which is trying to outcompete the dino with bacteria. This works for me but the white clean sand only lasts for a week or two before the dino comes back. I've literally treated my tank half a dozen times and my corals are getting pissed. So my desperation solution is to remove the sand completely. Every water change i would syphon out a little bit of sand. Ive got about 25% of my sand left and im hoping removing it all will finally beat dino for me. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jepoy

Supporting Member
So I am still very convinced its dinos reason being:

1. Water changes have been making things worse every time I do one.
2. When I initially started the tank I had diatoms and the corals were thriving, now with this they are all closed up.
3. I have siphoned everyday for 5 days and it always comes back stronger.
4. In the worst spot (one in the photo) it had bubbles the other day before I removed it.
5. Snails were dying

I was very confused after the water changes not working because I was not concerned with the brown algae at all at first it was my corals not opening that I was trying to fix. For the first 2 months they were perfect, even had zoas growing new heads, now they are all closed up.
Lol i did not even see this post and i pretty much posted the exact same symptoms you have almost word for word. Yup, you got dinos my friend. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Eugene

Supporting Member
Whats your phosphates and nitrates levels?
Suck that sand out and enjoy clean tank - once you add sand back it will return.

Eric Johnson

Supporting Member
So I am still very convinced its dinos reason being:

1. Water changes have been making things worse every time I do one.
2. When I initially started the tank I had diatoms and the corals were thriving, now with this they are all closed up.
3. I have siphoned everyday for 5 days and it always comes back stronger.
4. In the worst spot (one in the photo) it had bubbles the other day before I removed it.
5. Snails were dying

I was very confused after the water changes not working because I was not concerned with the brown algae at all at first it was my corals not opening that I was trying to fix. For the first 2 months they were perfect, even had zoas growing new heads, now they are all closed up.
Those don't look like dinos. Look at it under a microscope then post pictures.

The water change adds trace elements like iron that algae feed off of. You may also be adding silica if your DI resin is exhausted.

rygh

Webmaster
Staff member
Given how little is in your tank, you might consider a blackout treatment.
Low impact on tank, helps with both Diatoms and Dino.

Agree with above - water changes making it worse do not prove dinos.

But the clean up crew dying and not touching it is a good indicator.
If you put a hungry snail on the sand, with diatoms you should see feeding tracks very quickly.