got ethical husbandry?

I made a thing! Frag Rack v2.0

This is what my first iteration looked like :p
Notice the old algae scraper holding it up XD

1602790848202.png

Definitely look nice! Are the magnets enclosed at all? Or are you relying on the epoxy coating to keep the magnets from rusting?

Epoxy coating - the manufacturer datasheet states saltwater corrosion resistance.

I thought about enclosing these with acrylic on either side, but if tank water seeps through any small unsealed gap over time, it might be worse.

If the magnets are open, and wiped off after use, they should last longer, and keeping them open will make it easier to replace if they get scuffed.

Thoughts? I'm open to any suggestions you may have!

Last edited:
Epoxy coating - the manufacturer datasheet states saltwater corrosion resistance.

I thought about enclosing these with acrylic on either side, but if tank water seeps through any small unsealed gap over time, it might be worse.

If the magnets are open, and wiped off after use, they should last longer, and keeping them open will make it easier to replace if they get scuffed.

Thoughts?

I’d double check with the manufacturer. From what I understand, while epoxy coated magnets can be submerged for a short period of time, they are not meant to be under water long term. I believe they will leak eventually and rust. They need to be enclosed. I believe the make plastic encased magnets (called sewing magnets) for this very reason. But those plastic casings don’t really work for this application.

Last edited:
I’d double check with the manufacturer. From what I understand, while epoxy coated magnets can be submerged for a short period of time, they are not meant to be under water long term. I believe they will leak eventually and rust. They need to be enclosed. I believe the make plastic encased magnets (called sewing magnets) for this very reason. But those plastic casings don’t really work for this application.
I did do that before making the rack. They said the epoxy doesn't leach with prolonged use, but if the magnets will be submerged for periods of a few months, they suggest removing them every 6-8 weeks and rinsing them out with tap water.

Have you looked at K&J Magnetics? I’ve been using their plastic coated magnets for underwater use for many years successfully:

That’s what he has on there @JVU (based on your suggestions a few weeks ago)

They’ve sent me some magnets with a much thicker coating (2mm overall).

@Srt4eric, we can swap the magnets on the wet side out with these ones.

Back