Cali Kid Corals

I miss Jerry

I had a chance to see The Grateful Dead shortly after moving to the bay area. I didn't and it turned out it was my last and only chance. I also had a chance to see Johnny Cash in 2000 and didn't. I'm no longer making these mistakes.

In the last two years I've seen Leonard Cohen, Dick Dale, Glen Campbell, They Might Be Giants, B-52s, Richard Thompson, Jeff Mangum, Skattelites, The English Beat, Mountain Goats, and about 25 more acts. Before the end of the year I will also see Wilie Nelson, Styx/Gowan, Crosby Stills & Nash. Seeing live music has nearly completely replaced going to the movies for us and it's been freaking fantastic. I've seen at least one live music show every month since March 2010.

Don't wait one second to see the acts you love live! The only downside is the $125 tickets and ticketing fees which explains why U2, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Neil Diamond and the Who (is it really "The Who" anymore?) aren't on my list yet....

Ahh, fun and "interesting" memories.
I saw them at Frost amphitheater at Stanford a couple of times. (In the 80's)
One time there was no wind, so the smoke kinda stuck around in the amphitheater bowl,
and they had to take a couple hour break in the middle. Not sure many people really noticed.

Mark, if you were "fully there" how confident can you be of the time frame! Lol

My "bus ride" began in the early 80's on the east coast, then out here in the 90's.
So many shows, and good times

I gotta say, I saw the Grateful Dead post Gerry, as part of another show ("Government Mule") and it sucked.
They were just jamming, they had 3 drummers and the beat just kept changing, etc, etc.

I'm not saying I don't like GD, but when they just jam in a concert, it sucks (for me).

Mike, how was Leonard Cohen in concert? I see he is touring again.

If I could build a time machine I would go back to see Nirvana and Sublime play live. Never got into the Dead...

Leonard Cohen was fantastic as were Dick Dale, Crosby/Stills/Nash and Richard Thompson. I would see any of these again and can go in to more detail if anyone is curious.

Willie Nelson was a big disappointment--bad sound, short set. He was just phoning it in.

Bob Dylan at the Greek last fall was a waste of time. He did shitty unintelligible versions of his own songs. So muddy you couldn't tell what song he was singing frequently. Tangled up in Blue or Blowin' in the Wind--who can tell? Mark Knopfler opening was fantastic.

Glenn Campbell had moments but is well past the point where he should have stopped touring. His farewell tour has apparently been extended for a third time.

I still see at least one live show a month and have since March 2010. What used to be my cable TV budget is much better spent on live music.

Back