Our mission

I need a bigger container

svreef

Webmaster
BOD
5F0EA224-6203-4909-9E43-2E3546F77483.jpeg

Can anyone think of something I could use to soak this? It’s 60” x 22” x 20”. Maybe an old, gnarly acrylic tank?

If you alternate flipping it every few days, I would bet in 2 weeks it is wet enough to sink. Good luck picking it up at that point though. I still think a rock or weight zip tied to it in your tank is not a bad way to go.

If it is eventually going to fit in the tank it is going in, why isn’t it soaking in there? Sorry if that’s a dumb question since I don’t know nearly as much about freshwater.

If it is eventually going to fit in the tank it is going in, why isn’t it soaking in there? Sorry if that’s a dumb question since I don’t know nearly as much about freshwater.

Tannins will make that water super brown if not soaked before and plus any trapped dirt, dust or toxins will leach into the water. The outer layer of the tree trunk absorbs a lot of what’s in the environment it was living in. Some people even boil their wood before using.

Tannins will make that water super brown if not soaked before and plus any trapped dirt, dust or toxins will leach into the water. The outer layer of the tree trunk absorbs a lot of what’s in the environment it was living in. Some people even boil their wood before using.

Yeah but isn’t the tank just sitting there full of freshwater, letting stuff die off from when it was saltwater? Gonna be drained and cleaned anyway presumably.

I haven’t put it in the tank because it seems dangerous. I have the return pump running and a giant piece of wood floating around in there is frightening.

I am cycling the tank and I think it’s almost ready.

We do have a creek on our property, but I hear that’s a bad idea - the wood will pick up parasites and other bad things

Back