Our mission

I need advice regarding the RC stuff

I'm sorry Roy but I feel you are completely incorrect. Your post assumes that these people who are on the attack have valid points and then you yourself say that you don't know the validity of their points. There is no sense in trying to change ones leadership style to try to suit everyone as this would make one a totally ineffectual leader. You are also ignoring the obvious point that these are people who have resigned from the BOD (I call such types quitters) without trying to work through their issues within the club format. Now you somehow feel that because they're willing to attack the current leadership publicly on-line they must feel strongly about it? Then you go on to validate their positions while admitting you don't know what happened. Here's a different take on the 80/20 rule for you:
80% of people are willing to comment on something while only knowing 20% of the facts. This is not an attack on you but your position is unfounded, ill-informed and clearly preferential to the whiners who throw garbage from the sidelines....IMHO

I was going to suggest a secret technique I learned from my study of T'ai Chi, simply disengage. Request that the RC BAR forum be de-activated and let the people not interested in a productive, positive club share the new forum that has been created.
Cheers-Jim

racrumrine said:
... Consider doing away with the secret forum ...
May I ask what exactly are you proposing? Nicholas suggested the same thing, and I've stated my disagreement in that RC thread.

"Secret" makes it sound so sinister. BOD members don't meet face to face everyday, or even every month. The "secret" forum serves as a communications medium for discussing issues behind the scene, where consensus is reached before bringing them forth to the general membership. When necessary, BOD members vote on policy issues, and the results are recorded by the club secretary. Most result in resolutions that are bought out for ratification during the BOD meetings.

Are you suggesting that the BOD should deliberate everything in the open for the whole wide world to see? Before consensus is reached, debates take place, sometimes heated, sometimes not. Do the general membership really need to witness the thought process before policy is set? How about sensitive issues? Are you moving towards a change in organizational form, maybe towards that of a commune?

If the issue is trust, there's one way of addressing that: change the composition of the BOD. We have an election process as stated in the by-laws. If you wish to propose a by-law amendment prohibiting all behind the scene deliberations, I guess you also have the prerogative to bring it up for discussion by all the members.
Jim

a day late and a buck short.
Rich I've hardly had 10 word with and have been a very short time member but am impressed with the club and it's events. i am disapointed that the meeting went from 12 a year to 6 a year since i have joined. oh well.
My advice is to grow thicker skin since you are the pres you are the mouthpeace for the club.
that being said. good job. thank you for all your hard work.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

It is my hope that we will be able to move back to 12 a year next year - hopefully, the current BOD will be now have the time to deal with details and be able to generate more momentum to entice more people to pitch in!
I think the skin has thickened and I believe I have a plan in place to deal with this kind of thing if it happens again.

RR :D

Back