Cali Kid Corals

IM 10 light

popper

Supporting Member
What’s a good light for Nuvo 10 to grow Zoas and lps. And if you have it, how much and location? I’m in San Jose.

Looking to restart this hobby after 8 years away from marine.

Either the Kessil A80 as Twisted said, or the AI Prime/AI Prime HD/AI Prime 16HD.

One of the AI is that you don't need a separate controller to program lighting schedules/etc.

Differences:

AI Prime has 13 LEDs and is WiFi controlled.

AI Prime HD has 13 LEDs, and let's you redirect unused power to LEDs (e.g., you could make your blue LED output 120% power if you were using <80% on another LED) and is WiFi controlled.

AI Prime 16HD is the same as AI Prime HD, but has 16 LEDs instead of 13 and is bluetooth (no WiFi).

I went with the AI prime for my IM 10 gal and would recommend it if it’s in your budget. They’re fairly common so you could probably find a used one from a member here or on reef2reef. Like @IOnceWasLegend stated the ai prime comes with app connectivity out of the box unlike the kessil which requires a separate dongle for connectivity.
I am now using the same light on the Red Sea Reefer 43 gallon tank I upgraded to so it is something that you could keep going into your next build as well. When I was looking it was the best option for me, I’d recommend checking out the reviews from BRS just take them with a grain of salt, they are trying to sell stuff after all. If you’re looking for a lower budget option I do not have personal experience with them but the Mars Aquatic lights from amazon are supposed to provide nice results and you can watch videos from telegraham on YouTube, he has recommendations for some diy work to make them better by switching some diodes to a different spectrum of blue (470 nm).
29ACCCD3-937D-4FA8-A517-86CC59BBCE3F.jpeg

Also, if you're just looking for a light to grow corals and don't care about connectivity/ramping/etc, I havea galaxyhydro blackbox LED for $25. You'd need to hang out from something, though, and it might be a bit overkill for a 10g.

I agree with the Kessil A80 probably being the best fit. But this made me realize I still have two IM 8W Skyylights from my IM 20. Will post them in for sale section.

What’s the difference from your experience between hd and non?

Quoting my earlier post:

AI Prime has 13 LEDs and is WiFi controlled.

AI Prime HD has 13 LEDs, and let's you redirect unused power to LEDs (e.g., you could make your blue LED output 120% power if you were using <80% on another LED) and is WiFi controlled.

AI Prime 16HD is the same as AI Prime HD, but has 16 LEDs instead of 13 and is bluetooth (no WiFi).

I don't have any personal experience with any of them other than the AI Prime 16HD, but any AI Primes would be fine for your tank (I have a nuvo 20g and one AI prime is doing well for it).

If you're concerned about resale value, an HD might be a bit better, but as Twisted noted that link I posted above was a pretty good deal.

A Prime HD will give you the ability to go over 100% intensity on any given LED spectrum, a non HD will not. If you go into settings and adjust your lighting if any of the bars Will go over 100% if the others are less than 100% than you have an HD model

Googled it.

A Prime HD will give you the ability to go over 100% intensity on any given LED spectrum, a non HD will not. If you go into settings and adjust your lighting if any of the bars Will go over 100% if the others are less than 100% than you have an HD model

for an innovative marine 10 you don’t need that much power. You will cook your corals at 100% with the HD

Googled it.

Back