Kessil

Innovative Marine 112 INT build

Happier or Hangry?

IMG_1938.JPG

My skimmer finally had an issue after 3 yrs or so. I’ve fully cleaned it and the Simplicity pump about every 6 months. Never an issue until it stopped making bubbles or running at the right internal water level last week. I thought the pump burned out so I installed the backup and had the same issue.

Figured out with Jeff from Lifereef that it might be the Venturi valve. I’ve not opened the trap to clean it out before. Viola! A snail inside. Cleaned the Venturi body and slapped it back together. Dark skimmate is flowing again.

Love these Lifereef Venturi skimmers. Sooo little maintenance needed. 90% of maintenance is cleaning the skimmer cup and the rest is cleaning the body and pump twice a year. Much nicer than the needle wheel skimmers I’ve had.

4105209F-3235-469A-A06D-B11F455C5CFF.png

I went and did kind of a silly thing today. Sprung for a pair of new MP 40's. Do I NEED them? No. I am a bit unhappy with the flow from the 4 x icecap 2k gyres in this tank so considering the "sale" price and how quickly they seem to sell at a decent price I thought I'd try them out. I've always been enamored of the wire & electronics being outside the tank.

With this tank footprint (false wall overflow so no back of tank) and the rockwork I have, how would you set them up? Opposing in the middle sides or one in the front left and the other in the rear right? What flow pattern to use and velocity? I can use the gyres to supplement if needed or just for backup.

Oh man. This is one of the big reasons I went with the EXT, so they could go on the back. I would almost say put them on either side pointing directly at each other so you get random flow in the middle.
Ya I slightly regret not getting the EXT but it’s a space situation if it’s further out from the wall.

Is there a side you view from less?
You could put both in the same side. High and low or front and back. Try sync or anti sync in reef crest. Maybe like 70%
I almost never view from the left side as it faces the corner of the room. Unless i'm doing maintenance or checking on certain livestock. That might be a great option! Thanks for the idea

Back