High Tide Aquatics

Is this Aiptasia?

I got this frag a while ago and I’m just noticing this thing on it… Aiptasia? I dipped the coral in coral rx before introducing into DT so I’m not sure if it came from the frag or where it came from? That tank started off with dry rock. If it is aiptasia how do I treat it? I don’t see any others that are visible in my tank, can I just toss this frag?

Attachments

• IMG_3491.jpeg
    IMG_3491.jpeg
    61.6 KB · Views: 86
I got this frag a while ago and I’m just noticing this thing on it… Aiptasia? I dipped the coral in coral rx before introducing into DT so I’m not sure if it came from the frag or where it came from? That tank started off with dry rock. If it is aiptasia how do I treat it? I don’t see any others that are visible in my tank, can I just toss this frag?
Picture?

Looks like aiptasia to me
If it’s on the frag and I don’t see any other ones in the tank do you think it most likely came from the source of the frag? How would you recommend this from not happening to me in the future because I dipped it following the instructions. It was introduced almost 3 months ago so now I’m worried I have Aiptasia in other places of the tank I haven’t seen yet :(

Probably Aiptasia. It may not have spread yet. If the frag isn’t too important to you, just toss it. If it is important you could try to cut off a couple polyps far away and glue them to a new frag and toss the rest.

Probably Aiptasia. It may not have spread yet. If the frag isn’t too important to you, just toss it. If it is important you could try to cut off a couple polyps far away and glue them to a new frag and toss the rest.
Okay I’ll just toss it I don’t want to risk it, I have another frag of the same zoas but that one looks fine. Does aiptasia start tiny that it’s not visible and eventually grow?

Yeah it is. Honestly unless you super on top of it and qt all your stuff.
If not. Just get something that eats those. And move on.
I know about the quarantine process with fish but I haven’t heard about it with corals, only dipping. How would you quarantine a coral if I can’t use meds like copper without killing it?

Looks like a baby Majano nem. Also dipping doesn’t kill them or aiptasia in my exp.
Looking at pics online I think it does look closer to majano than aiptasia.. Have you dealt with removing them before?

Attachments

• IMG_3495.png
    IMG_3495.png
    317.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_3494.jpeg
    IMG_3494.jpeg
    46.2 KB · Views: 66
I know about the quarantine process with fish but I haven’t heard about it with corals, only dipping. How would you quarantine a coral if I can’t use meds like copper without killing it?
Oh boy. Short answer is small qt aquarium. Dip , wait , inspect, wait , dip if anything is found , inspect. When you think they are clean. Wait some more. Then finally DT.
Once anything bad is in the DT. No matter what it is. It’s extremely difficult to get out.
Us old guys just learn to live with it kinda. The key is to knock the bad stuff back with something. Everything in this hobby has a predator. You just need to find one that your happy with.

Looking at pics online I think it does look closer to majano than aiptasia.. Have you dealt with rem
Looking at pics online I think it does look closer to majano than aiptasia.. Have you dealt with removing them before?
I’d scrape the zoas off that frag plug then cut in half exposing the nem do this in a small cup outa the tank and keep under lights then when it opens up again pluck it off with tweezers. Rinse and shake the zoas in a few cups of clean water to help prevent pedal laceration/ regrowing from leftover tiny pieces. Superglue has worked like mentioned above also a bit easier on rock work with glue then zoas. Aiptasia/ Mojano are super resilient and can spread if kept unchecked. I’ve had some cool purple/ green ones I kept in a sealed mason jar in the window for 6 months and they thrived lol.
Honestly Id rather live or deal with them then alot other coral eating pests out there!
Best of luck

I’d scrape the zoas off that frag plug then cut in half exposing the nem do this in a small cup outa the tank and keep under lights then when it opens up again pluck it off with tweezers. Rinse and shake the zoas in a few cups of clean water to help prevent pedal laceration/ regrowing from leftover tiny pieces. Superglue has worked like mentioned above also a bit easier on rock work with glue then zoas. Aiptasia/ Mojano are super resilient and can spread if kept unchecked. I’ve had some cool purple/ green ones I kept in a sealed mason jar in the window for 6 months and they thrived lol.
Honestly Id rather live or deal with them then alot other coral eating pests out there!
Best of luck
I just tossed the frag I’m keeping an eye to see if any more pop up

Standard zoas are dangerous comment: apologies if this is all info you know, but given the type of question I'm going to err on the side of you being relatively new to the hobby and not aware. Zoas are known to carry Palytoxin which is one of the most deadly toxins in the world and can blind/kill you, your family members, or your pets. See this forum for recent discussions on this, including the story from last year of someone losing their dog because it somehow found some that had dropped on the floor in a garage weeks earlier.

It's not a myth, and it is a legit worry.

That's not to say zoas can't be kept, like everything it's contextual and a risk tolerance trade-off. Lots of people keep them. You can find info in this forum about debates and how to assess the danger.

I mention it here because Aptasia/Majanos are the type of thing a lot of people ask about in the early days, and seeing some guidance to have you cut up a plug full of zoas is making my dad alarm signals fire.

Back