Reef nutrition

Is this Aiptasia?

Standard zoas are dangerous comment: apologies if this is all info you know, but given the type of question I'm going to err on the side of you being relatively new to the hobby and not aware. Zoas are known to carry Palytoxin which is one of the most deadly toxins in the world and can blind/kill you, your family members, or your pets. See this forum for recent discussions on this, including the story from last year of someone losing their dog because it somehow found some that had dropped on the floor in a garage weeks earlier.

It's not a myth, and it is a legit worry.

That's not to say zoas can't be kept, like everything it's contextual and a risk tolerance trade-off. Lots of people keep them. You can find info in this forum about debates and how to assess the danger.

I mention it here because Aptasia/Majanos are the type of thing a lot of people ask about in the early days, and seeing some guidance to have you cut up a plug full of zoas is making my dad alarm signals fire.
Yeah I’m pretty new to corals but that’s something I read when I was doing research. Honestly cutting and playing around with the frag sounded like a lot of risk so I just played it safe and made sure to dump it into the dumpster.

Back