Reef nutrition

Is this ok?

I have two tanks. One is SPS tank, which I do WC more often. The other one is softy/junk/too many fish and it get wc whenever I feel bored, which doesn't happen every often :D ..

The question is after I change the water on my SPS tank, can I use the old water for the softy tank?? I'm trying to save some water and salt :p ..

Yep, I did that from my sps/lps tank to my softie tank and frogfish tanks. Worked nicely.

At the meeting this weekend, Robin said he did that from his reef to his clown/fry tanks. Good enough for raising clownfish, good enough for softies, I'd say ;D

Running it through a sock would work to take out the bigger junk. The nutrients and some of the other stuff I would think would be a good thing for a softy tank.

I am curious now, if you change you water out often how is it that dirty? Usually the first 2 or 3 gallons of my changes are a little dirty but the rest is relatively clean.

I feed my fish quite a bit. Stuff are not eaten went to the sump and stay there. I try to do WC every 2 weeks or 3 weeks max. I remove all those stuff when I do WC. Clean out the sump/fuge, remove the crap in the display, all the good stuff :D ..

And your skimmer isn't getting rid of most of that crud? I will usually hit my rockwork with a turkey baster a couple of times a week and put some floss over my return pipe to pick up the bigger pieces and it seems to keep my water pretty clean. Though I can't speak of running a fuge. I still haven't set mine up yet.

The drain hit the skimmer section before it went over to the fuge/return. I don't see a lot of stuff the skimmer section but there were ton of stuff in the fuge section. I had to remove all my macroalgae to suck them out. I don't know how they got into the fuge section. Does any of you guys using the filter sock?? I only use them after I do WC for couple days then I remove it. Wondering If I should keep using it.

I use a filter sock when I'm trying to get mucky stuff out that I know will settle into the other sump compartments e.g. when I clean the algae off with a scraper.

Back